Chapter 7: Tale of the Wingwatchers

Illuminated only by candles, Pug's house looked creepy and warm at the same time. Robin edged closer to Lillie as Applejuice did the same thing to stay warm. But Pug didn't. Instead, she held up a candle, pointing the light at a tapestry of a blue kitsune that Robin has seen many times.

The fox is the symbol of City Fera, no, of the world. It is Fera, or rather, she is Fera, the legend who made the world possible. City Fera was named after her, and so was the word "Feral".

Robin couldn't believe it. Why is Fera doing something with the Wingwatchers? Don't she want a curfew-free world when she created it?

Pug began her story.

"Long long ago, there was no City Fera. Or anything. One day, a blue kitsune spirit, Fera, appeared out of nowhere," Robin was kind of getting sick. He has heard this his whole life, with and without Lillie, when he was still young he'd read about Fera all day; when he was with Lillie they'd tell the story to each other over and over to fight boredom. He didn't bother hearing it again.

But Applejuice havn't heard the story. Robin could tell as she sat next to Pug, asking "What would happen next?" with dreamy eyes.

"Well, Fera isn't as mystical as you thought she would be," Pug said in a voice tone Robin heard the first time in the story. "She needs a place to live, like you do. So she created a city, a Trader's Port and The Expanse, and named the city after herself."

"Oooh!" Applejuice was excited. "The Expanse became Mugmyre Marsh and the Trader's Port is now called Shattered Bay!" "Exactly," Pug nodded and went on. "She then welcomed the Kitsunes and Senris."

"But one day, Fera was tired. Nobody knows why. Her sister Aref helped watch over her land. But Aref didn't care about the creatures at all. She only wanted to have fun. So she would destroy entire lands just to watch them burn and laugh. The animals were angry at her and didn't watch the borders of Shattered Bay."

"That's where the Wingwatchers came in. First, dragons came along. They took over the unwatched lands, where the animals were busy dealing with Aref. The dragons then went on to conquer more lands, but suddenly Fera came back and banished Aref into the Blood Tundra."

"Aref cannot escape now, but she was full of revenge. So she turned some dragons into Wingwatchers, to guard the dragons' land and search for the time to attack again...that's how the story goes."

"Is any of this true?" Robin went on.

But before Pug could reply, a white Senri barged in through the door, her Pointed Fae Collar slipping off her neck as she did. "Faris, why are you here?" Pug gave the Senri a disturbed look.

Faris was breathing heavily. "The Wingwatchers! They've held an innocent animal captive!"