4/24/20

Day 39:

    My mom and I have been taking walks every morning before I start schoolwork and it's been very nice.  We have a little park by our house and it's lovely to walk through it while there's still a cool breeze and some fog.

    Because of this, we've seen some interesting activity from wildlife, particularly squirrels, that I've never seen before.  This one squirrel was staring at us, calm as can be, from a branch above our heads, choking on an acorn.  Another squirrel that we saw today was sitting at the edge of the road with no one on it.  As soon as a car appeared, this hecking squirrel runs into the middle of the road and in front of the car's tires.  I was sure that poor little stupid squirrel was going to get run over, but he miraculously survived.

   Also, I saw a duck flying today.  Not like, skimming the surface of the water or anything (there's not even a proper pond at this park), but like flying in the sky, launching itself from the grass, and landing in a tree.  A tree.  A duck in a tree.

    I guess logically I know that ducks are birds but seeing a duck fly into a tree just hit me.  It was a very primal fear of ducks in trees, observing the world.  It sounds weird now, but think about it.  A duck in a tree.  It was funky.

    Also snails.  There are a lot more than you think, especially lurking in hedges at 7 am.