Chapter Two

We make it to the races when Racetrack takes a turn away from the main entrance.
"Where are you going, the entrance is that way" I say motioning to the ticket booth.
"I can't afford to go in that way" he says with his soft eyes pleading for me to follow.
"I know how to get in for free, the legal way, come on" I say.
He is hesitant at first but eventually walks back towards me.
"Link our arms, as far as anyone else is concerned we are together. Follow my lead" I say as we start walking up the ramp. He does as instructed, but he is chewing on the end of his cigar. He looks nervous, which is not good. "Can you act less nervous. You can get away with anything if you're confident with it". He stops chewing his cigar but he still looks off. His hand is so sweaty in my, he is a nervous wreak, I just hope he can hold it together long enough.
We are approaching the booth, and I give him a kiss on the cheek to sell the couple thing. We don't look like a natural pairing so I really have to sell it. As my lips leave his cheek, he looks dumbfounded with a noticeable blush coming across his cheek. Keep it together Race.
"Fifty cents for the two of you" the man behind the booth says.
"My father, Mr. Pinch used to frequent here, can we go in for free" I say. Race is shaking like a mad man, please keep it together. "Just this once for his memory" I finish.
"You're Daniel's daughter? Of course see yourself in, anytime you guys" he says. Connections do work. He hands us our tickets and we see our way in.
"How do you know the sheriff" Race questions.
"He was my dad"
"Was?"
"Dead"
"I thought you said you were rebelling" he says. Dammit, I let that slip.
I am audibly stumbling over my words.
Race leans down inches from my face, "what's a matter? Cat got your tongue" he is taunting me.
"I'll explain on the way home" that should get me enough time to come up with a story.
"Okay, which horse should I put down on first?" He asks me.
"I don't know, I have never been here before" I say looking up into his eyes. Note: do not look into his eyes when you tell him your story, just stare in-between his eyebrows.
"You're my lucky charm remember, sweet thing" he says. Is he flirting or is he continuing our cover? All I know is that I can feel heat rising to my cheeks. I quickly glace over at the board where all of the horses names are at. One catches my eye, Sophia. "Sophia, it's the name of my dog" I say.
"No good, the rider is a rookie, who else"
"Eddie"
He saunters over to put some money down. Quick while he is gone nab something. A drunk man stubbles out of his chair and is about to walk past me. In a flash my hand is in and out of his pant pocket, and three quarters in my finger tips. I drop the coins into my pouch and then I tie it shut.
"Money's on Eddie" Race says wrapping his arm around my waist I me closer. It almost felt normal, until I remember he is playing a part.
"Sophia is going to win" I say.
"I doubt that" he says, not holding back. I am almost hurt by it, almost, it is racing nothing to be hurt by. However it was still unnecessarily blunt.
The horn signals and the horses are off, Eddie gets stuck at the gate. At this point it is clear it isn't going to be Eddie, however Sophia isn't in the lead but she is pretty close to it.
The final lap is coming to a close when Sophia surpasses the other horse and wins.
"Sophia's not going to win" I say in a mocking tone.
"I don't want to talk about it" Race admits, defeated.