Chapter 6-Das Geheimnis Eines Deutschen

Germany checked for the third time that he had everything in his bag.

Food, water, coffee, clothes, books.

He ran through the list in his head again and a shaky sigh escaped his lips. Sweat dripped from his face as he left Liechtenstein's home and walked to the forest near by. Knees weak, arms heavy, he tried to think of something else, which always went back to what he was doing. 

Just forget about him, run as fast as you can to Liechtenstein's home. It'll be safer there anyway.

No. I must go to him. I need to protect everyone. I must protect them. 

An image of what he'll do appeared in Germany's mind, as realistic as the world around him. It felt more like a flashback than an image. Germany chocked back tears and held his breath. 

He's close.

Tears started to fall. No matter how many times he did this, no matter how much preparing he did, he's still afraid. And he know it. 

He finally entered the forest. He grabbed his round rim glasses and cleaned them with a cloth  and put them back on. Giant trees of all shapes and sizes towered over him. Distend animal noises echoed around him, and a faint rustle of leaves stalked him. Germany ignored his instincts and continued on a trail that he created. He found himself in the middle of a small patch of open area. The rustle of leaves stopped and he felt beady eyes staring into his soul. The bag slipped off his shoulders and he took off his jacket, letting his wings stretch out. A set of black, enormous wings reached from one tree to the other. Germany didn't know if he had the biggest wing but he knew he was close; they wouldn't and still won't stop growing. It made Germany feel happy. He always told himself the same fact:

The bigger the wings, the better of the country.

It still made him giddy with delight when they grew even the tiniest bit. He smiled, genuinely. It's been forever since he actually smiled. He forget after all. The last time he smile was...

Germany shook his head violently, pouring all the thoughts out of his head. After a good stretch, his wings hugged each other and fell to the ground. Germany tried to relax; he used Liechtenstein's breathing tactic; but the sense of uneasiness lingered on around him like the sins of the past does. Birds sung around him, one sounding familiar. A cape crow flew above him, cawing anxiously. He smiled but his head started pounding. It escalated at an unusual rate and  Germany felt like he's brain were going to explode out of his skull. Flashes of red and black and hallucinations soon blurred the line between reality and illusions. Germany had no control and  was forceful thrown into an unwanted memory.

Germany sunk out of the kitchen. He was hungry and he's dinner was too little of him. He grasped onto the best apple he could find. 

'They wouldn't fuss over one apple gone. Would they?' He silently prayed in his head.

A noise that sounded more like a battle cry than a scream echoed to halls. Germany looked down at his apple, silently groaned and tried he's best to act natural. He continued to walk when a man in uniform speed walk in front of him. The man was carrying a file and the young German got curious. He continued to stalk the man and caught a glimpse of a woman standing in the hallway. He quickly hid behind a chair and waited for her to leave. The woman stared at the empty hallway and went back to the room and closed the door. Germany smiled and got up, floating across the hallway. He ducked besides a chair when he heard someone opening a door. Three sets of boots walked out and suddenly stopped. He pocked his head out. He recognised two of the people there but not the third. Adolf Hitler and his father, Third Reich. He smiled and was about to walk out but he stopped.