Chapter 1

"Next!" the man dressed as an elf yelled to the next group of toddlers ready to take a picture with the stuffed man dressed as Santa at the mall. It was once again that time of the year where happiness and joy was supposedly thrown around with presents and smiles. For Estelle, it meant it was the time of the year when she had to dress up in tight green stockings that rode up her butt and silly jingle bells on her hat. "Smile" I said as I shook the jingle bells trying to get the kids to smile with Santa. But as I took the shot and looked back at it on the computer all I saw was the twins pulling on Santa's beard, one crying his eyes out and the other one, which was the only one smiling, smiled so hard you couldn't see her eyes. It was also hilarious because she didn't have her two front teeth which made me laugh to myself. "My shift's done boss" I said to one of the other elves. "Alright see you Monday" the man said as I walked off to the lockers taking everything off.
After I dressed up I walked out calling my best friend Avalon to pick me up. I found her car and jumped in. "Hey" I said. "Hey little elf" she replied. "How's working for Santa?" She laughed. I slightly punched her in the arm. "Hey it's the best job I got so far okay? And besides I only need to make enough money to fly back to San Francisco to go and celebrate with my family." I said. "Put aside the family, did I tell you that I saw Daniel's present he got me!" Avalon said excitedly. "Avalon! Why did you peek already?" I said loudly. "I just found it...under the bed...in a box...that read DO NOT OPEN" "AVALON!" I screamed "how could you!" "Well it's not my fault he left it out in the open" Avalon laughed.
"Well since you're dying to know, it's a ring. I think he's going to propose!" She screamed in excitement. I opened my eyes and couldn't get any words out. Finally I said "Congrats!" "Thanks! Hey what about you? Where's your love life gone?" "I don't know. And I have no time for a boyfriend. I don't need a boy to make me happy." I said confidently. "Oh C'mon Estelle! You haven't had a boyfriend since you broke up with Henry...in the fourth grade! You need to get out there! It's Christmas. Find some mistletoe and get someone to kiss you under it! As your loyal best friend I am not letting you live your life alone" Avalon said trying so hard to convince me. "Fine! Fine! If I find one, which won't be likely. I will try okay? Now will you shut up and turn the radio on please" I said smiling as we drove back to my house.
The next day I went back to work and as usual I dressed up and went to take another 100 or so pictures with Santa. During break hours I went to get a jacket since it was a bit chilly when I realized I forgot it in Avalon's car. I hurried back to make sure I wasn't late. I kind of shivered since it started getting dark. The man in the Santa costume motioned me over. I never really noticed that I haven't seen his face ever since I started working here but he always seemed to be so nice to me. One time he gave me some food when I forgot mine and this other time he saved me from being fired because I was late. "You seem cold. Here use my jacket." He said as he threw me his fluffy blue jacket. "Thanks." I smiled trying to make out who he was or how he looked like. By the end of the day I ran back and gave him his jacket back. After that I walked out into the cold and got on a train. I was so excited to find out if I had enough money to fly back to SF that I forgot to change out of my elf costume. So by the time I got on the train station, I still had my green stockings on and my jingle bells rang every step I made. Also while I was waiting for the train I decided to put my hat down because the bells started to annoy me. I bent down to tie my shoe and looked up to see a tall lady with fading blonde hair put five dollars in my elf hat supposedly thinking I was a caroler of some sort. "Ma'am I'm not a...Wow. Merry Christmas!" I yelled in reply after looking at the five bucks laying in my hat and smiled. I was excited that I thought I finally have enough money to go to San Francisco.
While I got on a train I sat and slouched down exhausted when I caught a little girl staring at me like I was crazy. I simply smiled at her not realizing my costume probably weirded her out and she looked like she pooped herself. Totally my fault.
When I got home I counted up my savings and found out it was exactly enough to pay for the trip and I had a little extra change. I booked my flight for tomorrow since Christmas was next week and I excitedly packed and went to bed early.