◈ Creation Myth • Manobo

A bolt of lightning suddenly fell from the heavens striking the wicked warrior, Dinagye-an.

Set in mystic time, and before this event unfolded, he and his partner Dehunaiun, were given responsibility to look after their nieces and nephews who were young children.

Once when the children were trying to produce pulp juice from sago palms, an old woman approached them for food. They wanted to give some to the woman, but they've admitted they had nothing to give, and they cannot even go back to their own home without the juice as they were being mistreated by their uncle.

The woman pitied them, and led them to the upper part of the mountain. There, she transformed the children's boiled water into meat. The old woman then went down, approached their uncle, and also asked him for food. The uncle looked at the woman as if she weren't even a person, shaming and rejecting her request.

With the wickedness shown, the power of lightning then struck the couple. In the process, the Manobo was split into the mountain world and sea world. From this force of nature emerged various life forms, and the greedy couple was separated, washed away from the river to the border of the cosmos.

The wicked warrior's partner then cried in despair over the loss of his partner, and this nostalgic cry in the wilderness today is said to be a cry for human union. This cry was then simulated in the lip-valley flute that the men play solo during their free time.