Chapter 4

Since that rainy day, things between Steve and Natasha have been perfect, and so much lighter. She is all his and he is all hers, and each new day that goes by further confirms this.

For the first time in a long while, Natasha can say she is happy and fulfilled. She feels no lack or regret. Choosing Steve is her boldest decision in a long time but not one based on a whim either. One that makes sense and feels natural.

But, as the days go, what was just an intrusive thought has kept on lingering. She may have gotten rid of the Watch but time remains on its course. She may not be able to stop it but she can dodge it.

Standing in her bedroom, her eyes are fixed on the countdown rolling on the dial between her fingers.

5 DAYS, 3 HOURS, 19 MINUTES, 41 SECONDS

Steve invited her to meet his family on Saturday but she hastily declined. Less than the common stress of meeting your boyfriend's relatives, she didn't want to risk going out and coming face-to-face with the person that was to set off her Watch. So she decides not to go out at all until the countdown would hit zero and the whole system deactivate.

Steve did not suspect a thing as she put the blame on work, pretending she has a lot of rehearsals and meetings to attend to.

She grows tense as every our dangerously draws her closer to the final outcome.

On the fifth day, she is sitting on the rug at the foot of her bed, legs folded up under her chin. The screen of her phone lighting up diverts her attention.

I miss you

She reads Steve's words then flips the phone over, then her eyes dart back to the Watch lying at her feet, dial up.

12 MINUTES, 6 SECONDS

She doesn't dare blink or shift as if one wrong move from her could negatively impact the countdown. Her heartbeat, with a similar pace as the seconds passing by on the dial at first, has quickened significantly. There isn't a single sound in the apartment. Just the coming and going of her ragged breathing while she tries to defect her fate.

1 MINUTE, 35 SECONDS

Unfounded fears begin to cloud her clear reasoning. What will happen when the countdown reaches zero? It isn't like someone will knock at her door, right?

59 SECONDS

Her stomach tenses, becomes as hard as a rock: it's almost difficult to breathe.

45 SECONDS

She clutches her arms around her legs even tighter, her gaze locked on the digits in the most twisted enthrallment.

20 SECONDS

She could swear she can hear the soundless ticking of the countdown bang against the walls of her brain, driving her sanity to the edge.

10 SECONDS

She made her choice. It may not be the good choice, but it's the one that does right by her.

8 SECONDS

She loves Steve. That shouldn't leave room to doubt.

7 SECONDS

But why is anxiety peaking right now?

6 SECONDS

What if it comes back to bite her in the ass?

5 SECONDS

If there is one thing life taught her is that you can never run away from what it has planned for you?