Payment

The room is lit in garish tones by a single screen. The light bounces off the crystal tumbler as he raises it once more, the last of the smoky liquid gulped away. President Patterson hunches in the leather monstrosity, as if trying to hide from the world in it.

His wife walks in, long hair billowing out behind her nightgown. She sets the glass to the side, perching on the back of the chair to kneed his shoulders. He sighs, "That feels nice."

Leaning down, she whispers in his ear, "Maybe I could give you something much nicer too."

There's a hint of a smile as he turns, the first in days. She kisses him, their lips drawn together in need, in desire. She works his loosened tie off, flings it down, unbuttoning his shirt as she tugs him towards the bedroom. He scoops under her thighs to lift her, carrying them to tumble on the bed.

As they fall, a crimson and sapphire cocoon snaps around him, colors chasing each other in angry swirls. The bubble pins his wife beneath him. Panic streaks her face as she tries to move the dead weight holding her. "Doug, what's happening."

The cocoon squeezes around his struggles like he's swimming in tar, while he pants with the effort. "Damn LifeShield! What's are you doing to me now?"

The colors pulse as they swirl even faster.