Ch04

Trigger Warning!
This chapter contains references to self-harm!

"You want to know...If we're free?"
Hanta was audibly perplexed with the question, as his partner sat across from him with a similarly confused look plastered across his face.

"U-Uh yeah, I just kind of...Wanted to catch up."
Izuku stammered out, already beginning to wish he hadn't bothered to call.

He'd already felt awkward being on a call right after patrol--he was even still in his uniform.

The irony of how intimidated criminals and villains felt when just his title was mentioned, when he himself felt so small just on a mere phone call.

"Like m-maybe we could go to a cafe, or on a walk...Whatever's fine. I-If you're free, that is."
Alright, this was getting ridiculous. Why was he acting so damn nervous?

Hanta cleared his throat.
"U-Um, I don't think–"

"Who's that?"
Izuku heard a voice interrupt, almost immediately recognising its owner.

"Denki, it's not-"

There was a sudden audible struggle, distorted murmurs and hushed commands filtering through loud rustling.

If Izuku didn't know Denki, he would've automatically assumed Hanta was in some sort of immediate danger.

"Hello? Who's this?"
The blonde asked in a snappy tone.

'Kill me now...'

Izuku could almost see Denki with his hand on his hip, phone poised against his ear from within the other.

"U-Uh, Kaminari, hey-"

"Midoriya?"
Denki's voice noticeably softened, some sort of concern lacing his tone.

"What's up? You need something?"

"Ah, no--well, sort of--I just--I was asking Hanta if you two were free? Like to go out or just hang. Anything works, really."

Denki glanced at Hanta, who almost immediately began shaking his head furiously and making X's with his arms.

"S-Sure we're free, how does Wednesday sound? We're good around... Four-ish?"

"Sounds great. I'll give you guys a call when I'm swinging by. See you then."

"Y-Yeah, see ya."
Denki kept an anticipating tone, before nearly going limp when he hung up.

"Are you mad? Iida's gonna kill us! Did you forget about what he said about 'giving Midoriya space'? This ain't space, Kami! This is the opposite of space!"

"I know, I just, I feel kind of bad for him...You know?"

...

Izuku stared in disbelief at the phone in his gloved hands, beaming.
He couldn't believe it.

He had plans...With friends...

This whole 'moving forward' thing might not be as hard as he'd anticipated...
...

"Ochako,"
Asui croaked, slowly opening the brunette's front door with caution.
"Pardon the intrusion."

She slowly made her way through the dead silent complex, not before politely removing her shoes at the entrance.

"Uraraka?"
Asui called, resting a grocery bag of various goodies meant for spoiling her best friend.

Soft sniffling and hushed sobs immediately worried the shorter heroine.