Chapter 4

After my second day tutoring her. I was comfortable teaching her because she was smiling and she was not mean and rude to me. But in school, we ignored each other like we never knew each other. Every week that passes the more I like to go to her house and it makes me happy.

She messaged me, this week she needed me to tutor her for two days, Friday and Saturday. She wanted to be good in Algebra.

I was eating my lunch all alone at the school's cafeteria. Chloe came with her boyfriend, her cheermates and Jacob's teammates. They were all laughing and Jacob kissed Chloe and then hugged her. Chloe was glancing at me and we stared at each other eye to eye, I immediately looked away and continued eating my lunch and never looked at her again.

Why do I feel so mad? Is this the sign that I am falling in love with her? If this is true I need to stop this. It was Friday so maybe I will not go today to her house. If I go, I can't concentrate teaching her.

After the class I texted her. I told her that I can't tutor her today because me and my father will have errands but it was a lie. She replied to me in one word, "Okay".

It was late night, I was laying in my bed thinking about her. I was not sure if I really fell in love with her. Thinking about what is the good reason not to tutor her tomorrow, I still didn't want to go. Suddenly my phone rang and it was Chloe. I didn't want to answer it but it was obvious that I was avoiding her.

I answered her call, "Hey"

"You're at home?"

"Yeah we are already at home. What's up?"

"Are you sure you're okay?" she asked.

"Of course I am. I am not sick. Why do you think that I'm not okay?"

"I don't know, maybe my guts tell me that there's something wrong with you. The way you looked at me at the cafeteria earlier. I know that looked. Don't tell me you're falling for me? I don't blame you for it. But you know I have a boyfriend right? I love him so much."

I hate her guts because maybe she's right. All the things she said hurts me. I need to lie to her. "What? I just looked at you that's all and I remembered that I must not look at you so that others do not notice that I talk to you." I hoped that she would bite the lie.

"Oh yeah. You did good there. Oh my god I thought you're falling for me, thank God. I don't want to destroy our relationship. I consider you as my secret friend. I'm comfortable telling my problems to you."

"A secret friend?"

"Yeah. You are my friend now but nobody will know. You know what I mean?"

I laughed, "Of course. We're secret friends, I kinda like it."

"So see you tomorrow?"

Until now I didn't want to go to her. But hearing what she said it's a little weird if I say no. "Yeah see you tomorrow."

"Okay that's all. Bye."

"Bye". Then she hung up.

I hope I will not act weird tomorrow. All I needed to think was that she is my friend. I didn't want to ruin it.

I was in her house starting to teach her. I can't take my eyes off her, everytime I remembered to act normal I blinked my eyes and looked at the book. Thankfully she focused on the book, she didn't notice that I was looking at her.

There was a sound of a car and then stopped. Someone's parking a car outside her house. She stood up and looked at the window.

"My parents are here." she smiled.

"Oh". That was the only word coming out on my mouth.

The door opened, her mom came in. Vanessa Radcliffe, she has ginger hair like Chloe, brown eyes and have a great body for a mom. Unlike her daughter she is funny and kind. Chloe ran to her then hugged.

"Mom I didn't expect you to be here on Saturday. Where's my father?"

"Someone help us on our problem, that's why we are here. Your father is talking to someone on the phone" She was looking at me. "Who are you? Are you my daughter's boyfriend?"

I was looking at Chloe because I didn't know that to say. I didn't know if I should lie. Did her mother know that she's problem with one of the subjects?

She read my mind, thank God she got it. "This is Nate, he tutor me in Algebra."

"What?" her mother was shocked.

"Mom you know I hate Math. My teacher said that I may have failed in Algebra. Nate is helping me."

"It runs in our blood the Math thing.", she laughed. "Nice to meet you Nate."

"Nice to meet you too Mrs. Radcliffe."

We shook our hands and she came closer to me looking at my glasses while holding my hand. "I don't think your glasses have a correction lens. I know this because I used to have it when I was younger. You're eyes is so beautiful why are you hiding you're perfection"

Before I could answer her she took my glasses, she was fast. My heart beat fast, I didn't know what to do. That was my first time someone cornered me and I just stood there. I looked at Chloe to help me but looking at her face she didn't know what to do.

Her mother wore my glasses and I know from that moment I was in trouble. "Ha! The lenses are normal, no correction. You want to look like a nerd?"

A bit my lower lip before I answered her, "Because I'm a nerd."

Chloe interrupted us, "Mom, don't harass him. We need to continue our lesson, better back off."

"Oh", she said, I knew her mother didn't believe me. "You can both continue and honey please don't wear your glasses for today. You look great without it. Just for today Nate. Can you promise me?"

I sighed, "I promise"

"In return I will make you a snack." She patted my shoulder, when she touched it her eyes widened like she was shocked then smiled. Maybe she figured it out that I've been working out.

I wanted to ignore her. "Thank you Mrs. Radcliffe."

Vanessa walked to their kitchen. Chloe was looking at my eyes and I looked away.

She said, "My mom tells the truth, you've got good eyes. I'm very sorry what my mother did to you."

"No worries."

"I'm wondering why you are wearing fake glasses?"

How can I explain it to her? Maybe I just need to say a half truth. "To look like a nerd. So that everyone can know."

She nodded, "I've got it. You're a little weird."

I just smiled at what she said. Someone entered the house this time it was her father. Rafael Radcliffe, he has a normal body for a father without a bloated stomach, brown hair and gray eyes. Chloe told me about her parents and she told me that her father is the strict one.

"Daddy!" Chloe shouted and hugged him. He looked at me and Chloe introduced me. "This is Nate my tutor". He nodded and walked to their stairway. Her father is the opposite of her mother, a silent one.

We both sat down and continued our lesson. Vanessa walked out of their kitchen, carrying pretzels. It smells really nice. She put in the table while smiling, "This is my own recipe, enjoy".

"I will Mrs. Radcliffe, thank you." Vanessa walked away.

Chloe said, "My mom's pretzels are the best pretzel for me."

I took a bite and it was true. It was delicious. She came back at us, this time she was carrying orange in a pitcher and two glasses. "Here's your drink. Just ignore me and continue what you're two doing."

She was standing between us and she poured orange juice in the glass. She was about to put the glass on the table but the glass fell on my head.

"Oh my God, I'm sorry Nate the glass slept in my hand.", her face was like she was acting shocked.