Chapter 27

I was in dreamland. I was about to open a big white door, but my eyes opened instead. Someone was shaking me. I closed back my eyes.
"For gods sake!"
"Damn."
"Told yah to leave her sleeping."
"Yeah bro."
"Bad move."
"She looks as if she's about to kill us all."
"Why on God's green earth are you so damn loud?!"
The talking ceased. I decided to opened my eyes once again.
The guys were all on their beds.
Tom the yellow.
Tyler the green.
Drew the red.
Franklin the black.
Cooper the maroon.
Evan the white.
Jason the orange.
Kent sat at the end of his bed.
All eyes were on my once again.
"Well you didn't eat before you went to sleep...and you've been sleeping for hours, so we wanted to know if you were hungry."
I turned to look at all the guys.
"Can I ask y'all something?"
Some nodded, some shook their heads, I rolled my eyes and asked anyways.
"Starting at Evan and ending with Drew, rate you're cooking skills from 1-10."
Some sighed at relief when I was done asking my question. Evan started.
"I'm like a 5."
Next was Tom.
"5."
Then Tyler.
"5."
Then Jason.
"8."
Then Kent.
"6."
Next was supposed to be Cooper.
But they all stared at me.
"Aren't you answering the question too?"
I don't expect to have a to answer my own question but I found myself doing it anyways.
"A solid 7."
Next was Cooper.
"A 4."
Then Franklin.
"5."
And lastly, Drew.
"9 1/2."
I guess he was the chief. I directed my next question to him.
"So I'm guessing you made dinner?"
He nodded.
"I made some pizza pockets."
Then he got up and brought me a plateful. Kent eyes widened.
"There's no way she could eat that many."
"I'm betting that she can stomach 4."
"3."
The betting continued before Drew interjected.
"Let her eat."
"Y'all think so lowly of me."
I put some faked hurt in my voice.
Then the eating began. The pockets weren't that big. But they were packed with pepperoni, bacon, ham, turkey and I went tasted some salami.
Cheese held it all together. For safe keeping I'd take a stabliser pill when I passed by Claire, just in case my stomach decides to play funny like it did with the ice cream.
I ate one, then two. I hadn't eaten since Thursday night. To say the least, I was straving. I ate three more. The guys didn't move from their positions.
It felt weird eating under gazes.
But I grew accustomed.
There were only five more on the plate.
But they were only there for five minutes. After that, I burped, rubbed my belly and grinned.
There were gasps of disbelief.
"I believe y'all have some money for me."
Disgruntlely, one by one they dipped in their pocket and passed bills onto the other person until all the bills reached me. Nice job belly.
I was about to lay back down when someone broke the silence.
"Aren't you suppose to digest before laying down?"
"Most likely, but I've learnt to digest while laying down."
I heard him say 'hybrid' under his breath. But I wasn't about to call him out. I snuggled closer to the pillow.
"You're mother called."
I closed my eyes.
"For what?"
"She said you're boyfriend is really worried about you."
"Did she actually say that he was my boyfriend or as you letting what Jason get to you."
"She actually said that."
"Bitch."
"Language."
"I spoke English."
I turned to face the pillow.
"He's worries about you."
"You don't even know him."
"I saw him."
"And?"
"And I approve. Now tell me what happened."
"What do you mean you approve? I've only known him for less than a week!"
"Young love. Now tell me what happened."
"What happened?"
"Why are you ignoring him?"
"Cause he deserves it. Now can you drop it?"
"Fine. Be like that."
I didn't answer. I heard his footsteps retreat. Then the door open and close.
He left. Again. And this time it was my fault.
"Why didn't you call me?"
This time it was Jason.
"I forgot."
"How did Claire get my number?"
"I had you're napkin in my hand when I fainted."
"Why?"
"Cause I was gonna call you."
"H-"
"Stop talking to me now. I'm trying to sleep."
Nobody talked.
I heard some shuffling, then the tv turned on.
"Fun fact! did you know that seahorses mate for life?"
"Eww gross!"
"That's kinda cool."
"Drew what? Since when are you into commitment?"
"Shut up and pay attention."
"Why are we watching the discovery channel?"
"Shhhh!"
I smiled to myself as I drifted off to sleep. Seahorses were cool.
I woke up in a dream. I was here, in the gym. The guys were here too, but then again they live here. I was on a lone chair, facing the beds. On each, had its owner and his plus one. The only thing that was off was that the plus one of all the guys looked exactly the same. She looked exactly like the girl I saw come out of Luke's car Wednesday night.
This wasn't a dream.
It was a nightmare.
Her voice was haunting me. I sat on the chair and watched her do the same thing I watched her shadow cast in my in room that night. How could she?
How could he? Why did they do this to me. The same images kept replaying and replaying. I tried to get off the chair, to break out of unconsciousness.
But I couldn't. Slowly the images morphed. Next was the images from my last school. The hallway I was walking down. The friends I left behind that were screaming and throwing things. I wanted to stop, to apologize.
But my lips were sealed in a grim line and my feet made swift motion to the door. When I opened it however I didn't come out at the courtyard. I came out mid leap. Quickly I came crashing to the ground, my ankle spraining in the process. I heard my mothers voice. I heard them break my door down. I grabbed my bag and ran. I ran and ran. But it was cold, and before I knew it was frozen. I was standing there, immobile. I watched my new friends pass me straight. I watched the girls from that night, Bridget, Louis abs the others pass without glancing at me.
I watched Tasha grab Luke by the shirt and made out with him. I watched him make eye contact with me, and then kissed her back. I watched Claire and Jeremy walk hand in hand, he was whispering in her ear and she was giggling childishly. I tried to reach out.
But I could move. I didn't belong there.
It was the cold hard truth. I didn't belong anywhere. I had to live to repay my debt and that was it. Holding on to material and temporary things was pointless. In the end, I was just getting myself hurt, and I was sure the person I owed didn't want broken payment.