Chapter Forty-Two

SIRIUS NEEDED TO ESCAPE the Grimmauld Place and in order to do so, he would volunteer to leave and snoop around Diagon Alley for the latest news

SIRIUS NEEDED TO ESCAPE the Grimmauld Place and in order to do so, he would volunteer to leave and snoop around Diagon Alley for the latest news. With Petunia's blessing to take Harry away from the Dursleys, he figured they didn't really need to hide anymore, but Charlus wanted to be cautious. After all, it wasn't Petunia that Charlus feared to retaliate, it was Dumbledore. Perhaps Sirius didn't analyze the situation as much as his husband did, but he didn't think there was anything Dumbledore could do anymore. But Charlus wasn't one to leave things to chance, he had to cover all of his bases before proceeding.

And just an hour in Diagon Alley, in his animagus form, Sirius learned that Dumbledore had been served papers to appear in Wizengamot court. Rita Skeeter's article was everywhere, and witches and wizards all over were whispering the gossip. Word had gotten out that Dumbledore had been aware of Harry's harmful living situation and had done nothing about it. The people of the wizarding world were furious because even as a child, Harry was considered a saviour to the people as The-Boy-Who-Lived.

Unaware of the sacrificial protection that had been cast by Lily's life, people naturally assumed that even as a toddler, Harry had been strong enough to defeat Voldemort. So why would Dumbledore allow The-Boy-Who-Lived to be harmed knowingly? Suddenly, theories and rumours were spreading like wildfire with some people boldly assuming that Dumbledore was involved in working with Voldemort somehow.

"When were you going to tell me that you were going to take Dumbledore to court?" Sirius asked Charlus after he returned. He dropped the copy of the Daily Prophet onto the table where Charlus was sitting.

Glancing over the paper, Charlus pushed it aside. "We're not taking Dumbledore to court," he said. "It's just a precaution. I wrote to Amelia Bones a few days ago, explaining the situation. She serves on Wizengamot, I read one of her interviews in the Daily Prophet after I woke up. She was working to pass laws that would further help muggle-borns and their families get a better understanding of the wizarding world, instead of waiting until they were supposed to attend Hogwarts. She thought it would help improve the lives of the children...."

"What does that have to do with our situation?" Sirius asked.

"Clearly, she's a strong advocate for children and their wellbeing," Charlus told him, "naturally, she would act if she learned that a child was in a harmful environment. Especially, a child that was prone to accidental magic that was also endangering muggles. I might have stretched a thing or two here to build the urgency, but it clearly got her attention. Enough that Dumbledore is going to stand trial."

"But you just said that we're not taking Dumbledore to court!"

Growing slightly annoyed, Charlus sighed. "And we're not! There is no point in bringing Dumbledore to court because he'll win regardless. According to Rita, he has enough members serving on Wizengamot that would be willing to side with him regardless of what he has done. He is the Supreme Mugwump, which means he is the head of International Confederation of Wizards. In order to be named for the position, you need to have a majority vote from Wizengamot. I'm not looking to win against him in that sense."