Chapter 5

Varian peered inside the banquet hall as he stood in the hallway. People from all over Corona were inside enjoying the festivities that he had planned that Lance didn't help with. He held the strange flask close to him as he examined his surroundings. Cassandra and him would need a way out if Flynn really was a Changeling. Actually would Flynn even attack them? It would blow their cover after all...

"Varian."

The boy let out a small scream as Cassandra frightened him. He gasped as the flask fumbled out of his hands.

"No!"

He reached down towards it. Right before it crashed to the ground, Cassandra lunged forward. She stretched her arm out before grasping the flask as it landed in her hand. The two stood there for a moment before letting out a deep breath.

"That was close," Varian told her as she stood up.

"Too close," Cassandra replied as she held the flask close to her. "We need to be more careful. If we lose this, we can't prove that Flynn is a Changeling."

"Right..."

Varian rubbed the back of his neck nervously as Cassandra strode over to the doors of the banquet hall. A deep frown crossed her features causing Varian's stomach to churn.

"What is it?"

"...He's not here."

"Who?"

"Flynn!" She snapped. "I thought I told Rapunzel to bring him!"

Varian winced at the harshness of her tone. He took a small step away from, in fear of another outburst. Cassandra's face fell when she saw Varian's fearful features. She tore her gaze away from him.

"I-I'm sorry...I didn't mean to shout at you like that...It's just..."

She peered back into the banquet hall. "...I just want Raps to be happy...After everything she's been through."

Varian glanced down at the ground, bringing his hand up to rub his arm. "No I understand perfectly." He squeezed his arm tightly. "I regret my actions from before...I hurt so many people. All I wish for is all the people I hurt to be happy." He glanced up at the banquet hall. "Rapunzel and Eugene included..."

Cassandra smiled softly at the boy as he gazed out at the banquet hall. This was the first time they had a proper conversation since she's been back. The fact that Varien can talk to her like this made her happy. She reached out towards him.

"Varian-"

"Cass!"

The two yelped as Rapunzel bounded over to the doors. Cassandra shoved the flask into Varian's hands as the Queen neared them. Varian fumbled with the flask before sighing when he finally found his grip on it. Cassandra quickly shoved him behind the large door as Rapunzel stood in front of her.

"Oh Cass everyone is so excited to see you!" Rapunzel grabbed her hands and squeezed them tightly. "Monty and Attila baked a whole bunch of sweets! Feldspar is putting on a new play! Shorty is...Being Shorty...Oh! And you missed Ulf win pin the tail on the donkey! Even though it was all imaginary."

Varian chuckled softly from behind the door as he listened to Rapunzel ramble on.

"Oh, and we also had to redo your cake..."

Rapunzel lowered her gaze as she lowered their hands. "Someone-" She glanced off to the side. "...not saying who...Ate your cake." She looked back up at her friend. "So we just had to go with a single layered cake. I hope that's alright with you."