Chapter 14

Ace dropped flat onto the sand to brace himself, salty waves of water crashing into his face. The shaking went on for a whole five seconds before it ceased. 

 Ace hesitantly got to his feet and shook out his wings. Looking back on it, flying would have been a better option, to get off the source of the shaking, he would have been fine. Ace's head was spinning and he was trembling, not from fear, but as if from the remnants of the shaking stayed with him and he couldn't shake the shaky feeling. 

 From the water burst a creature immense in size to say the least. Its head towering forty feet above him and that was only what was above water, while the rest of the creature's body stayed submerged. 

WHO SUMMONS SUMATI? 

 The trembling ceased and Ace realized he wasn't scared. I summon you, Sumati. 

The great serpent laughed, it's turquoise skin blended in perfectly with the water. WHY DID YOU SUMMON ME? 

 I need your help. Ace said meekly, as if each word pained him. 

  MANY TALONS COME ASKING FOR MY HELP. Sumati continued at his full volume. WHY SHOULD I HELP YOU? WHAT MAKES YOU SO DIFFERENT?

 I'm stronger than the other Talons. Ace said, not knowing what to say. 

 BO-RING.

 I'm faster too

Sumati looked uninterested, his sea green eyes glazing over. 

I can fly and run and swim just as good as any other Talon

 PHYSICAL ATTRIBUTES HOLD NO POWER OVER ME. TELL ME WHY I SHOULD HELP YOU, FOR A REASON THAT ISN'T SKIN DEEP.

 I... Ace faltered. I'm a shifter! He said at last.

 CHANGING YOUR SKIN, HOW IS THAT NOT SKIN DEEP ONLY? Sumati turned to swim away. 

 Stop! Please, my friend was murdered and I'm trying to figure out who did it. 

Sumati paused in his descent back into the water. 

  Well I think the boy deserves an answer to that. Came a disembodied soft voice, as smooth as silk. 

Sumati, I don't believe he is worthy. His question is a fool's errand. The humungous serpent—who Ace originally thought was Sumati—replied. 

A...creature...yes that was the word Ace was going to use to describe what surfaced from the water. It had the body and size of a human, but for hair it was dark green kelp and it had no nose but a rather rounded face, like an orca's face. It had human like arms, but four of them and with webbed fingers. It had a torso like a human woman but no navel. From the waist down it had a tail like a sea horse.

 Ace immediately ducked into a bow, bending down his wings. Sumati, Ace said aloud. The real Sumati. It's good to finally meet you. 

The creature ducked her head in acknowledgement. Ace rose out of the bow. I see you have already met Sigurd. I hope he didn't rattle you too much. The giant serpent said nothing, but kept close to Sumati. He is the guardian of Lake Erie and with it my guardian, meaning he can get a little over protected, with good reason of course. Sumati chuckled, a merry sound. You clearly came here with a question child, so ask it. 

 Who killed Aureliana?

 Wrong question! Sumati said with a giggle. The sound caught Ace off guard, it was a child's giggle, when they ran away with the cookie jar. Ace shifted his coal black eyes to Sigurd who remained more or less stoic. Sigurd tore his eyes off of Sumati to look at Ace. His emotionless eyes revealed a bit of understanding.