iii. devon

Devon is a county located in England’s West Country. It was where Shuntbumps, a now-defunct broomstick sport, once rose to popularity. Nicolas and Perenelle Flamel make their home there as well.

Locations in Devon

     • Chudley, home of the Chudley Cannons Quidditch team

     • Exmoor (partially; part of it also lies in Somerset)

     • Ilfracombe

     • Ottery St. Catchpole, including:
        — The Burrow
        — a paper shop
        — a post office
        — Stoatshead Hill

     • Topsham

Specific places located in Devon:

1. Chudley

     Chudley is the home of the Chudley Cannons, Ron’s favorite Quidditch team – a team that is regularly at the bottom of the British and Irish Quidditch League standings.

2. Dartmoor

     Dartmoor is an area of moorland in Devon, in South-West England. The moorland is capped with many exposed granite hilltops known as tors, providing habitats for Dartmoor wildlife. The entire area is rich in antiquities and archaeology.

     Dartmoor was the location of the Quidditch World Cup finals in August of 1994.

     A wizard duelling contest held on Dartmoor in 1379 was won by Elizabeth Smudgling, with the first recorded use of the Disarming Charm.

3. Ilfracombe

     A seaside resort town in Devon and the site of the famous Ilfracombe Incident of 1932, where a Common Welsh Green Dragon escaped and flew right over a beach filled with Muggles on holiday. Disaster was averted thanks to the quick-thinking Tilly Toke, who performed one of the largest Memory Charms in recorded history.

4. Ottery St. Catchpole

     A small town along the River Otter in Devon, near Exeter. Ottery St. Catchpole is a Muggle town but has historically also been a large settlement for wizarding families, including the Weasleys. As a result, Harry spent more time here while growing up than anywhere else outside of Little Whinging and Hogwarts.

Locations in Ottery St. Catchpole:

Bottom Bridge

     This bridge, which spans a river near the Lovegood house in Ottery St. Catchpole, is where Luna Lovegood fishes for Freshwater Plimpies. That is, she does so according to the lies spun by her father, Xeno.

Lovegood House

     On a hillside some miles from the Burrow in south Devon lies a cylindrical house shaped like a giant chess rook – the home of Xenophilius and Luna Lovegood, and also the main office of the Quibbler. Predictably, the place is rather, er, eccentric, with perfectly circular rooms and curved furniture painted in “bright primary colors.”

     The first floor is the kitchen; the second, a living room; and at least part of the third floor is Luna’s bedroom. Harry, Ron, and Hermione visited Xeno here in 1998, where they learned about the Deathly Hallows. When Xeno tried to turn them in, though, his Stunning Spell hit an Erumpet horn instead and all but blew the place apart.