- somerset

Somerset is a county in the West Country of England, home to both Bath and Exmoor. It is also the home of the Modesty Rabnott Golden Snidget Reservation, and the site of a well-known disaster in the summer of 1996 when a group of Death Eaters, together with at least one giant, caused widespread destruction that the Muggles blamed on a hurricane.

Specific places located in Somerset include:

Bath

     Located in southwestern England near Bristol, Bath was so named because it was once home to an elaborate Roman public bath, fed by Britain’s only hot springs. A replica of the Roman structure has now been built there above the ruins of the original.

     Ron mentioned Bath, when he told Harry a story he had heard of a witch in Bath who owned a book that had been bewitched so you could never stop reading it.

Exmoor

     Exmoor is an area of moorland of Somerset named for the river Exe, which flows through it. Exmoor is the location of Exmoor National Park. It is also the home of a new Quidditch stadium, which was originally covered with an Invisibility Charm (fans were advised to collect Re-Visibility Spectacles from the ticket sellers so they would be able to see the stadium and the match).

     Things didn't work out very well with the Invisibility Charm, however, and fans complained that they couldn't see their seats, let alone the match. As a result, the charm has since been lifted with plans to instead try a special Ministry of Magic "Masking Fog". We are not told whether this worked.

     Due to its fairly remote location, it is also the location of other Quidditch matches, including the Chudley Cannons vs Falmouth Falcons.

Modesty Rabnott Golden Snidget Reservation

     Established in the fourteenth century in Somerset to protect a dwindling population of Golden Snidgets (dwindling because they were being hunted for sport as well as killed in Quidditch matches), the Reservation was named for Modesty Rabnott, who famously saved a Snidget from a Quidditch match in 1269.