Chapter 8

I lick the salt off my fingers. Cal smirks at me. 

"You still have some ketchup on your mouth," he gestures. 

"Shut up," I mumble around a mouthful of fries. I'm grinning like an idiot. Stop grinning, I tell myself. But when I'm around Cal, I just can't help it. 

Cal leans over the table and I feel his fingers wipe away the ketchup from my lips. I freeze. Cal seems to realise what he's doing and removes his fingers from my face. 

I begin to smile. "You just can't keep your hands to yourself, can you?" 

Cal shakes his head. His hand grab my arm and pulls me out of my seat. 

"What're we doing next?" 

Cal stops and his brows crease in thought. His eyes dance in the moonlight. It's already around eleven at night but I wish I could stay here forever. That is until I see whose walking towards us. Why if it isn't Evangeline Samos. I unlock my arm from Cal's grasp and he looks even more confused. 

"The reason you're here is coming this way," I whisper and turn. Tears prick my eyes. All I wanted was one night where Cal was mine. Just one. He wasn't even mine! So why did it pain so much to see his girlfriend coming this way. I knew he could never be mine. His heart belonged to someone else. I curse my own heart for feeling emotions. 

CAL

Mare turns away from me. Not before I see tears glitter her eyes. I'm about to ask what's wrong, but I hear a shrill voice behind me. I turn around to see Evangeline. I stop myself from rolling my eyes. 

"Hey, Evangeline. Can I help you?" I ask. 

Evangeline's eyes dart around and she pulls me away, leaving Mare standing. 

"I'm not interested in you that way!" I hiss. 

Evangeline nods. "Listen, I used to like you. But then it was just popularity that forced me unto you. I see the way you are with Mare. I'm not blind. But I thought about it and I don't like you. So go get your girl. And no more spilling things on me."

I beam but my eyes squint in confusion. 

Evangeline rolls her eyes. "You never were bright. Lets say, go get Mare and don't spill food on me or you won't live to regret it."

I nod. Evangeline rolls her eyes again. "Lovebirds," she mutters. 

I race back to Mare. My arm goes around her waist and leads her along. 

"W-where are we going?" she sputters and struggles. I look down at her face and really take her in. She's beautiful. Her hair is a deep brown and her eyes sparkle from the stars. Or maybe her eyes always sparkle with that pretty haze. I'm wonder struck of her beautiful she is. I loosen my grip on her just a little but keep pulling her along. 

"C'mon." is all I say.

MARE

"The ferris wheel?" I ask. Cal only nods and smiles. 

There's only a couple people in front of us, so the wait is short and soon we're rising up to the top. 

"What happened to Evangeline?" 

Cal grins at the mention of her name and I feel a stab in my stomach. Or maybe I imagined that wound and blood coated knife. Cal takes my hand, interlocking our fingers. 

"She told me to stop living my life by expectations and do what I want." 

I look at him in shock. "Oh." is all I can say. I'm curious of what Evangeline meant by that. Cal starts humming a tune I don't recognise. Our hands are still tightly woven together and I feel his body press into me. We're nearly at the top of the wheel. 

Cal looks me in the eyes with his own perfect face. 

"What was that song and dance again? The one about a kiss at the top of the ferris wheel?"

I can barely intake enough air to live. "There is no song." I'm pretty sure I'm going to die if I don't breathe enough air soon. 

Cal lifts my chin up with his warm fingers. "Guess we'll have to create our own then." 

He leans into my face and I close my eyes. His lips are soft, I could almost melt into them. Gentle hands hold my face and I never want it too end. My mouth is singing and hands are dancing. I feel like I'm floating. 

The kiss ends too soon, and I'm left sitting there in wonder. We're nearly at the bottom of the ferris wheel. Cal looks over at me shyly. 

So this is what Evangeline meant. It is beyond a popular boy's expectations. Almost like if a prince and peasant were to be together. 

We exist the ferris wheel and my feet feel wobbly. My head still spins at the thought of kissing Cal.

I glance at Cal and see his grin is as wide as mine. He takes my hand. 

"Remix?" he asks. 

I nod my head and feel his lips on mine. 

NOTE I'm sitting here with my hair undone, bed unmade, listening to music (mostly Taylor Swift), and doing schoolwork in between writing sentences. Living my best life! Nah, I like keeping my room organized and I just brushed my hair. I may or may not write another chapter. I think I most likely will. I like this story even if the writing sucks.  Only thing I don't like is I can't use the song/remix idea again for a story. But I hope you enjoyed this chapter! Do you like the new cover? I don't but I wanted a cover so I quick randomly did this. Okay, have a good day! Bye!