THREE

┌─────── ∘∘∘❁∘∘∘ ───────┐

HIM

└─────── ∘∘∘❁∘∘∘ ───────┘

"Feelings that come back are feelings that never left."

—Frank Ocean

∘∘∘❁∘∘∘

"Coincidence." I say as I wash my hands and, Dr. Suresh, one of the attendings, looks at me out of the corner of his eye.

"Yeah, I do not believe in coincidences."

After drying off my hands, I toss my mask into the trash and follow him out the room. "Rajit, she's married..." I furrow my brows as my mind lingers on the notion for a moment. Shaking the thought from my mind, I speed up to match Rajit's brisk pace. "I mean, I know it's been eighteen years, but her daughter's name is Cara. Cara! I mean come on!"

Rajit stops and stares at me, a look of disinterest clear on his face. He sighs. "Ethan, you say that like it is supposed to mean something to me."

I frown, trying to think of a way to explain it to him with the least amount of redundancy. "It's complicated, but it was what we planned to name our child once... you know what it's really not that important, the point is—"

"Look," he says placing a hand on my shoulder. The look he wears as he glances up at me is one of annoyance mixed with a slight tinge of pity. "Do you want to know what I think?"

I nod, listening intently.

"I think... you need to leave it alone, my friend." He pats my shoulder as he starts to walk again.

"Wait," I say confused, as I follow him into the changing room. "What?"

"You heard me." He continues unphased. "Like you said before, she is married. She has two children. You do not need that in your life, friend. Trust me."

I sigh as I sit on the bench in between the lockers and stare at the ground.

"I am serious, Ethan. You need to forget you ever saw her." Rajit says, stopping to peer at me from behind his locker door. "Women in general are just a headache nowadays."

I smirk. "You're just mad because Prisha's divorcing your ass."

Rajit slams his locker closed and points an agitated finger my way. "She already took the dogs, she cannot have the beach house in Hawaii! It is my safe place and I will not allow it," he mumbles, opening his locker once more.

I chuckle at his passion. "I'm glad you don't have any kids, Raj. I can only imagine how they'd turn out." I stand, opening my locker and pulling my shirt over my head.

"Imagine fighting over an entire human in a divorce. It is simply too much. I could never."

I scoff, rolling my eyes as I change. "Try fighting for two."

"Speaking of Thing 1 and Thing 2, how are your boys? Still not talking to you?" He laughs, closing his locker.

"Shut up." I shake my head. "You know Melanie's crazy ass is always telling lies on me."

Rajit drapes his jacket over his arm before glancing over at me. "So you like to say."

I roll my eyes at him as he laughs, backing away. "You know I am only kidding with you, my friend."

I wave him away. "Yeah, yeah."

"I will see you Wednesday, Ethan. Unless you've changed your mind and want to come to the bar with me tonight?" He raises his shaggy brows in question. "Come on, there are plenty of semi-sane, unmarried women that you could talk to..."