THIRTY-SEVEN

┌─────── ∘∘∘❁∘∘∘ ───────┐

HIM

└─────── ∘∘∘❁∘∘∘ ───────┘
"Trust can't live in the same space as secrets and lies."

—Unknown
∘∘∘❁∘∘∘

The walk from my car to the front door fills me with all kinds of emotions. Happiness bubbles up inside me along with eagerness at the prospect of spending an evening with Imani and her kids. Nervousness creeps up my neck as I adjust the collar of my shirt. I spent half an hour picking out the right outfit and I still think I got it wrong.

This is my first time meeting Imani's oldest, Cara, and I want her to like me. I know teenagers can be unpredictable, so first impressions are always essential.

The wind blows my hair out of place and I groan, smoothing it down as I adjust my grip on the bouquet of flowers in my hand. I take one last moment to gather my composure before ringing the doorbell.

No one answers for a while, and I frown, beginning to think I'd stopped at the wrong house. Just as I pull out my phone to check the address, the door swings open and I'm staring face to face with a girl with long curly black hair.

She looks at me skeptically, raising a brow as her gaze falls on the flowers in my hand. "Who are you?" she asks, crossing her arms over her chest.

I laugh nervously, and shove my phone back in my pocket. "I'm Ethan Price." I extend a hand, growing slightly discouraged when she just stares at it. "I , um, I was told Imani was staying here."

The girls eyes grow wide as her relaxed demeanor fades away. "Oh," she says as she stands straight, her brown eyes widening immensely as she takes my hand. She holds my hand for a little longer than necessary before clearing her throat and letting go. I watch as her cheeks tinge pink and she tucks a strand of hair behind her ear. "Nice to meet you, I guess." She steals one more glance at me before sticking her hands in her back pockets.

I smile, trying to catch her gaze. "I take it you're Cara?"

She nods, flashing me a tight lipped smile. "Well aren't you insightful." I laugh nervously at her comment as she steps back and motions me in. "Come in."

I nod, walking past her into the foyer as I wait for her to close the door. Turning to her, I open my mouth to speak. "So—"

"Mom! Ethan's here." Cara calls, running a hand through her long hair. She glances at me as she makes her way to the stairs, hesitating when her light brown eyes find mine. Sighing, she shakes her head and approaches me. "Lose the top two buttons. You look stuffy, like you're trying too hard."

I furrow my brows. "Wha—"

"Come on, give me the flowers," she whispers hurriedly as she glances down the hall.

Listening to her, I hand her the flowers and unbutton the top two buttons of my shirt. Immediately I feel more comfortable. I smile, but she shoves the flowers back into my hands before I can thank her.

"You're welcome," she mumbles before sauntering up the stairs.

I stare at her retreating form, perplexed by the encounter. She's not at all like her sister, but her feistiness. Now that reminds me of someone...