001

// HOPE //

Fiver Year Later...

Drip... drip... water spread across the floor forming a puddle to surround the ice cap. The ice that was surrounding me like clear as glass although there were some areas that are whiter than others. The cold spread across the room as a cold steam escaped the ice, looking like dust or glitter. Exploring the room in order to find a way to escape and send chill down people's backs.

The cold moves in only to meet the warmth of my blood, my defense against such ice. I feel it wash over my skin, again and again, only to be met by the beat of my heart, again and again. The truth is, as hard as it is, that so long as I keep moving, I'll win. The ones who stop are the ones who freeze. Cold licked at her face and crept under her clothes, spreading across her skin like the lacy tide on a frigid winter beach.

The heat started at my hands travelling there way up towards the rest of my body. Fire crackled and popped. Each scarlet flame radiated heat. From deep inside my chest, through every cell of my body, the warmth welcomed me like an old friend. The glowing embers leaped and twirled in a fiery dance, twinkling like stars in the hot swirling air.

Slowly I opened my hazel eyes as I felt the heat spread around my body therefore allowing my blood to pump fast to my organs. I wake suddenly, every thought in high definition. My eyes take in every ray of light and without a doubt I know I've slept too long. Though my eyes are open I can't think of why; my heart is pounding, mind empty. It's as if a hypodermic of adrenaline has been emptied into my carotid.

Something happened...

Nothing, there was nothing in the building that I thought of as my home. The halls were empty, the labs were quiet, the building that was once filled with rush and chaos is nothing filled with nothing. There was no-one. The silence caressed her skin like a cool summer breeze, smoothing her soul, taking away her jagged edges.

'What going on?' I thought to myself before staring down at my outfit to see I was wearing the same clothing when I got frozen. Slowly I stepped one of my feet forwards for it to collapse on me almost hitting the floor, my knee bucked inwards. Luckily, I was able to catch myself before fully falling onto the wet cold floor.

"Hello?" I called out loudly towards anyone that was in this building to hear me, unfortunately there was no response back. 'Where is everyone?' I questioned myself again before fully standing up and travelling towards a room that I knew would hold the information that I need, Nick Fury's office.

Empty.

The office was painted grey, and it had only one floor-to-ceiling window, which faced the main road. On the grey desk sat a desktop computer, a notebook lying open, and a stack of papers sitting under a turtle-shaped paperweight. In a corner, the air conditioner was blasting at medium, and there was a swivel chair in the middle of the office. A bookshelf, bursting with books was in a corner, with yet another stack of papers under a paperweight that was shaped to look like a tuft of grass. A few pens were lying on the papers, but some had fallen onto the top of the bookshelf.

Scanning my hazel eyes across the whole room to see that it in the perfect condition that Fury would wanted. Traveling my way towards his desk I notice that a pair of keys that was normally hanging up on the grey wall was gone. Switching my focus from the wall toward his desktop computer, unlocked. Scanning over the news that was spread across his webpage... Half of the population - gone.