CHAPTER THREE

Three

    Running out of the house, Nora only had one thing on her mind. The image of her boyfriend, soon to be ex-boyfriend, in bed with another girl. They were already half-undressed so the story pretty much told itself. This was so stupid. She was an idiot to think a boy like Mason would ever only have his eyes on her and no one else. God, why did this have to happen the one night she decided to branch out of her comfort zone? That showed her. She was never doing stupid shit like this ever again.

    "Nora, please, it wasn't what it looked like!" Mason shouted from the porch while she stood in the yard. She stopped walking, but refused to turn around to face him. There was a small crowd gathering, watching the scene. This was the worst thing she could have gotten out of tonight. Things like this weren't meant to happen. Of course, just like she predicted, this party had only wreaked havoc. "I'm drunk, it doesn't mean anything."

    Dreading facing him, she turned around and walked up to him. Although he stood a few inches taller than her, her look was enough to kill even if she was looking up at him.

    With tears falling down her cheeks, she spoke with a biting voice, "So you're telling me you threw away everything we had on nothing. Being drunk is no excuse and you know damn well you can walk in a straight line, just like you walked straight upstairs with a girl who wasn't me."

    "Nora—" Mason attempted, but the girl had already slapped him. She was never a violent person, but she was fuming. She could understand a mutual breakup, she had known things were going to end for a while now. Just the fact that he could not wait to get his dick wet that he couldn't even do the right thing and break up with Nora first. She could handle the heartbreak, but not the betrayal. Not after everything they had been through together.

    Smiling sickly, Nora accepted that the dream she had been sleepwalking through with him was over. Shrugging, she simply said, "No big loss, I was gonna break up with you in two months anyway. Thanks for giving me a head start. Never talk to me again."

    Walking away from the crowd that had formed, she felt like she was about to puke. Maybe it was because of the drinking, but part of her knew it was more than that. As confident as she appeared to be, she was crushed. She jumped feeling a hand on her shoulder. Turning, she saw Edison who must have followed her out of the house. Great, it couldn't at least have been Kristen or Amarie that followed her?

    "Hey, I've had the least to drink out of your friends, I'll take you home."

    "I'll walk," she spat, although the girl wasn't the one she was pissed at. She was simply mad at her scumbag boyfriend and took it out on whoever was closest, which unfortunately, was Edison.

    "Yeah, you don't need to get murdered on top of everything else happening tonight. Come on, let me drive you home. Or at least take you somewhere other than here."

    Feeling defeated, she agreed. Nora hadn't been looking forward to walking home in heels anyway. Without a word, she followed Edison to her car and got inside; she crossed her arms and stayed silent as soon as her seatbelt was on.

    After a moment of silence, Edison broke it awkwardly, "Do you wanna talk about it?"

    "Not really, no."

    "Do you wanna talk about something else?"

    "Actually, yes. Why do you act like we're friends all of a sudden?"

    "I'm not really acting like anything," Edison shrugged. "I recommended a drink. Almost made out with you. Watched you discover your cheating boyfriend. I'd say more like acquaintances. I just don't want you walking home alone, you're buzzed and those shoes look painful."