Chapter 8

" Haba! why did you have to invite those oyinbo (white people) to come over?" Mama asked.

Papa chuckled, "I told them casually. I don't know if they took it seriously. Stop being agitated, they don't bite."

"I don't like this. Our house is not good. The food I have is not ideal to serve those kind of people."

"I did not need your permission before inviting them. I am the man of the house. Just do as I say." Papa said egotistically.

"You didn't need my permission but you are asking me to reserve a special meal for your important guests eh. Who does that!?"

"Stop yelling! You are beginning to sound insolent!"

"I am not yelling. You can't just come here and order me around o."

"I don't know where this is coming from Eka Ima. You are not used to arguing with me this way."

I stood there watching my parents as they argue uncontrollably. It has not always been like this. Mama was just too ashamed to welcome such class of people into our home. The state of our house was nothing to write home about. In the living room, the chairs were rickety, the paint on the wall had unpleasantly faded and the curtains were worn out. The only box television we had was faulty. Papa just left it there to add decor to the room.
Earlier on, I had quickly swept the yard again, re-tidied the living room and sprayed a cheap perfume on the curtains and chairs to make the room smell good.

"I hear you. Thanks to God my fried chicken is still remaining. I have the best parts which I reserved for you. But I may have to give it to them." Mama reeled off.

Papa sighed. "We don't have a choice."

__________

Three hours later, papa's bosses did not arrive. All his guests had gone, including mama's sister and her children. Mama served all the children food in a large tray and they all sat on he floor to eat with their fingers, in place of spoons. They licked their fingers thereby making weird sounds, as they ate.
Papa waited patiently for his very 'important visitors' but they were not forthcoming. He gave up.

"Maybe they got caught up in something more engaging." Mama spoke softly to papa.
I knew deep inside of her she was happy that they did not show up.

Suddenly papa's Nokia 33 phone rang and he shushed us when he saw the caller.

"Hello Sir. Good evening." He said with all politeness.

"Okay thank you God will bless you for me." He hung up.

"Mr Brutus apologised for not making it and he said he has something for me. He also excused me from work today and tomorrow. Isn't today a good day?" He laughed heartily.

"They are having a house party right now. He said I am invited. I am too old for such parties. Ima-obong, you will go and represent me."

Mama gave me some pieces of chicken to give to them and warned me not to over stay.
I took a quick shower and wore a bodycon dress which I bought with the last of my savings. I wore a nude lip gloss, sprayed my economical perfume and stepped out.

________

I got to Brutus's and Ferdinand's house. Jazz music was playing loudly in the background.
I beamed with excitement because that was my first time attending a soirée. The door to the living room was opened. I stood by the entrance and spotted a few number of persons chattering excitedly. Some were dancing to the cool rhythm of the music. I walked in slowly and the smell of cigarettes and alcohol filled my nose. I suddenly felt dizzy.