Chapter 3

The day of the ekpo dance festival was here. I and mama were up early. We washed, cleaned and cooked.
When I was done with chores, I washed my body and stood in front of our broken mirror combing my hair and admiring my slender, curvaceous body. I had just a wrapper tied round my full breasts. My skin was dark, like a nightingale. My wet afro was frizzy and dangled itself.

"mbok (please), hurry up. You cannot spend forever combing your hair. You know you still have to plait it." Mama bickered.

All of a sudden there was a deafening crash.

"Abasi (God), who is that!?" mama hurried out of the room to see what fell down with such a thud.

"You this girl! You have broken my expensive clay pot!" I heard her scolding Emem bitterly.

The valued pot which served many purposes was one of her most treasured belongings. Mama got it as a gift from her late mother on the day she was handed over to papa for marriage.

She had told us the story of her fairytale wedlock over and over again. The story excites her even to this day.
To her, she married the most valuable man in the whole village. "Other women were jealous of me because your father chose me for a bride." She would say with pride.

"Your hair is becoming fuller by the day." Mama said, glum, as her fingers manoeuvred the thick forest of hairs on my scalp. She was styling my hair.

"I am done. Go, I will meet you there."
"Thank you mama." I responded.

********

Getting to the town square, the venue of the festival. Men, women and children of all ages were present.
Village heads and clan heads were also there, some of whom were snacking on some garden eggs and peanuts. In the midst of the clan heads sat important personnels.

A white man was amidst the clan heads. He was lanky, freckled, and had a blonde hair so long it was packed in a pony. He was wearing a red T-shirt and khaki pants.

Staring at him, I felt my skin tingle and my stomach tied in a knot. I had read about the English men in books. I had seen their pictures in books. But never had I seen any, live. He felt like a demigod in my eyes.

I smiled. I looked at the other man siting next to him; - a dark skinned, hairy man. He looked quite tall even in his sitting position. Their eyes were fixed on the acrobatic dancers. And they were nodding in accordance to the beating of the drums.

To get a better view. I weaved my way through the crowd of people. I saw Idara, she was among the female dancers who were dressed in colorful dance costumes. They danced very beautifully with every fibre in them.

"Idara give them! Whooooo!!!" I screamed happily.

The crowd cheered, hands lifted in resounding applause.

I joined the crowd to chant "unek! unek!! unek!!!" as the female dancers' hips swayed, gyrating invitingly.

Lost in splendour, I screamed excitedly. When for a split second I focused my attention on those siting under the shade for the bigwigs, my eyes met with that of the English man.

It was like the most embarrassing episode of my life. I could feel my heart in my throat. His gaze was unexplainable. I quickly disentangled myself from the crowd and hid under a mango tree nearby.

***

"Ima-obong!" I heard someone call my name.
I turned and saw a man. The same man who sat beside his white friend. But he was not looking my way.

"How?!" I thought. I was confused as we had never uttered a word to each other, let alone me telling him my name.

"Ima-obong!" I heard the second time. This time, it was crystal, I wasn't in a trance. My best friend Idara was the one calling.

I saw her, she was smiling and walking up to me from a sea of persons.

"Come here." She hugged me. She smelt of sweet coconut and sweat.

"I noticed you were hiding under the tree. Why?" She queried.

"Don't look his way but I thought I heard that man over there call me." I gestured.

"Ooooh, the dark, dipped in chocolate brownie?" She laughed.

"It's not funny 'Dara. I would rather the earth opens up and swallow me than have either him or his white friend talk to me."
We both laughed.

"Anyway you're such a fire dancer 'Dara. You're skilled. Somebody should come and marry you already." I teased.

"Said the dreamer who is coy." She teased back.

"Speaking of which, there's a matter I need to attend to." She said smiling cunningly, slowly walking away.

"Idara wait! We... " Before I could finish she had scampered off.

"Hello there." Came a sonorously sensual voice.
I turned and beheld the man I had seen earlier. The tall, dark visitor. He had a well built body. His face was just inches away from mine.

"Hello." I retorted stepping back.

"Do you mind directing me to the town hall? I got some business there."

"Walk down the road, take a turn by your left. It is opposite the fountain." I said examining his face. He was devilishly handsome.

"I am Brutus by the way. I came to this magnificent town with my friend Mr Ferdinand on invitation by my buddy Kufre."

I giggled.

"Kuhfray" Was how he pronounced the name.

His accent was British. I could tell he was bred English, as he spoke through his nose. I observed him closely, his skin was not subject to harsh conditions.
His thick eyebrows, dark-brown eyes and well sculpted nose gave him an air of relevance. He was wearing a tuxedo.
As we got talking, he revealed that he was British-Nigerian.

"Let me introduce you." He gestured to Ferdinand.

"Ferdinand meet, ugh I didn't catch your name?"

"Ima-obong."
This time, I became uncomfortable. My legs shook.

"...meet Ima-obong. Ima-obong meet Ferdinand."

"How do you do?"
Said Ferdinand bringing out his hand for a handshake.

"Pleasure to meet you." I said, swallowing hard.

Here I was, standing in the midst of two grown men. I watched out for Mama but she was nowhere to be found. I heaved a sigh of relief. I silently prayed for an idea to pop up in my head for me to use as an excuse to exonerate me from this trap.

"Do you have a phone?" Ferdinand asked me.

"No." My heart beat faster.
"Not like I need your help getting me one alright?"

"Don't be impertinent." He smirked.

I looked into his deep set, hazel eyes. I decided within me that I did not like him.

At last! I saw Idara. I didn't waste time, I ran away from their presence to her direction as far as my legs could carry me.

***

Two days after. I had woken up from sleep and was saying my prayers when I heard two voices talking outside the door. The sun was already out. I did sleep in.

"It is a gift for one Ima-obong. I am sure I got the right address." A female voice said.

"I will deliver it. Thank you." Mama said.

"Ima-obong, somebody dropped a gift for you."

I was dumbfounded. I was not expecting anything from anybody. I took the object from mama's hands. It was a small parcel, incognito.

🤩😎🤩😎🤩😎🤩😎🤩😎🤩😎🤩😎

What do you think is in the parcel?

Who is it from?

How would mama react?

Find out in the next chapter.

😘😘😘

©Maryamada Kasi
2020