Chapter 10

Mama's wailings attracted a sizable number of persons who came to sympathise with us. Papa's body was moved to the morgue. Women from the church were alerted and they all gathered to mourn. The pastor of the church was also informed.

Aunty Nene and mama's long time friends were by mama's side consoling her. I didn't have a lot of friends so nobody my age was by my side except Idara. She cried with me. Emem and Nsikak were not exempted. They rolled on the ground and wailed inconsolably.

A large crowd gathered at our house. That day was a sad day for us. Everybody wore a long face. People who knew my father quoted him for his integrity and generosity.

I remembered, on an occasion papa advised that if he were to die one day, that we should opt for a funeral that was not flamboyant. And that he would prefer to be buried that same period. We heeded that advice and decided we were going to bury him the following day. Then do a memorial any other year.

_________

On papa's funeral day, his body was carried from the morgue to my great grandfather's abode. Friends and family came from far and near to witness. Cartons of biscuits and crates of soft drinks were bought by the church in support of my family. Papa was one of the few deacons who served with all his heart, so he was honoured accordingly. The funeral started momentarily, mama became really bitter. I on the other hand was more than broken. I wondered how I would be able to come out of the situation. I tried my best not to take it out on anyone present, I didn't want to be perceived as sensitive.

Papa was dear to me. He was a good man, he loved God, gave his tithes, he was fair to everyone. I didn't understand why he had to be snatched by the cold hands of death.

Mama was called upon to give a speech. She politely declined as she was not educated enough to address the people formally so she signaled me to give the speech on her behalf. I got up, I decided not to make the speech lengthy.

"I appreciate you all for being here with my family today. My father would be smiling at us right now. He was such a good man, most of you had the privilege of knowing him." I paused and sobbed.

"I pray that God grants you long life and good health to enjoy the fruit of your labour. Once again thank you for your kindness and support."

After pastor gave a short charge and performed other rites, papa's body was laid to rest. Sorrow filled my heart, I weeped.

_______

After the funeral, pastor walked up to us and asked the deceased immediate family to gather together while he prayed for us. He then gave mama a well packaged envelope before saying goodbye. Mama counted a whooping fifty thousand naira. It lifted her spirits. I managed a smile that did not come from my heart.

"My sweet sister. No be say I no get understanding o, but you dey owe me three thousand nau, you sabi."

That was Aunty Nene.
She stayed back to help tidy up our messed up house when other people had left.

She made that statement in what felt like a joke but carried all seriousness.

Disgusting. Her outright demeanor irked me.

"I just lost my husband and all you can do is ask me to give you money today of all days? Eh Nene? Shame on you." Mama spat.

"ah-ah. Na play I dey play nau, you sef."

Aunty Nene playfully smacked mama's back.

"Play or no play you're getting your money now, I no want your wahala."

Mama calmly counted three thousand naira and gave to her. She squeezed the money and put in under her brassiere, thanked mama and walked away, her flip-flops gathering sand and slapping her feet.