Chapter 18

Banggg!!! He fired the gun at the wall. The lady and I screamed.

"No please!! Spare us!!!" We cried together.

At that point, I saw my life flash before my eyes. He was still ranting when his phone beeped twice, it was a text message. He read the message, and his visage soften for the first time. Then he bounced out with his goons. An hour later, he came back alone.

"You." He pointed at me.

"Get up. Dust yourself and follow me." He said.

What does he want with me? I questioned myself. To avoid testing his patience, I did as he said. I hugged the pregnant lady briefly and followed my abductor. He put a blindfold over my eyes and held my hand. We trekked for a very long time to God knows where. When we finally stopped at some spot, he released me from his grip and instructed me count from one to twenty before removing the blindfold.

I subconsciously counted the numbers, then I slowly removed the blindfold. What I saw before me was a remote environment surrounded by thick bushes. There was just one narrow path, I didn't wait to be told, I ran for my life and found myself in an empty road.

I looked left and right, confused on which way to follow. My intuition told me to follow the left, I did and walked hastily for some time before spotting a car I recognised. Susan! My joy knew no bounds when I saw her hurry out of the car towards me, with Albert following swiftly behind.

"Ima-obong! You are unhurt! Thank God!" A tear escaped from the corner of her eye as she embraced me.

I cried too. I was grateful for my safety. Secondly, because I didn't know what may have become of the pregnant lady I left behind. I could only pray for her safety. Albert zoomed off as soon as we got into the car.

"Are you going to tell your mother what happened?" Susan asked. 

"No. We should keep it between us." I said calmly.

If mama should hear of my abduction, she would lose sleep for days, so I decided to keep the news from her.

The fragrance of Susan's exorbitant cologne consumed the car. I was not so comfortable. I didn't have a bath for two days, I smelled unpleasant. But as considerate as she was, she didn't mind. She brought a small food flask of jollof rice and fried turkey. I ate the food hungrily on the way, then I slept off for what seemed like hours, but it was just some minutes. When we arrived home, Simon was in the balcony drinking some banana-peach smoothie.

"Thank God you are safe now. Why did you leave the house in the middle of the night? This is Lagos o. Anyway, when I heard that you were kidnapped, I was so angry." He wanted to hug me but I dodged his arms. What hypocrisy.

Susan noticed it and gave me a disapproving look. If only she knew that her husband was a clown.

"I can't hug you Sir, I am dirty." I covered up.

"Oh I understand...." He grinned.

From where I stood, I could perceive the sinister in his wide grin.

May God punish you! Fool! Dick head! Bastard! My throat was raging hot with so many cuss words that I wanted to lash out. But because of Susan's presence, I swallowed them.

"Thank you Sir." I murmured grudgingly.

"You know you are like a daughter to me. I would have ran mad if something bad happened to you." He continued.

Aaahhh!! This man won't stop the pretense!??

And you will run mad! I will make sure I go on my knees and light a candle on your brainless head! I cursed under my breath.

"Go and freshen up and rest dear." Susan said.

I went to my room, the bed was the same way I left it. The thought of Simon lying there that night made me want to set the bedspread on fire. Images of his wrinkled, peanut sized manhood dangled at the forefront of my thoughts. Out of annoyance, I removed the bedspread, soaked it in a bucket of water, and emptied a bottle of disinfectant into it.

Living in the same house with a pig like Simon was sure to bring more unrest to me. I stayed on my bed for some time contemplating on an exit plan. I heard a knock on my door. It opened slowly and Susan's head popped in.

"Hope this is not a bad time?" She strolled into the room.

"No. I want us to talk please." I said.

"If it's about the kidnappers, you are safe now. And I promise, such a thing won't repeat itself." She said when she saw the worried look on my face.

"That's not it." I said, shaking my head.

"What could be the problem then?"

"Hmph..." I sighed.

"I am truly grateful to you for how good you have been to me. But I cannot live here anymore. I want to resign." I said, without looking at her.

"What!? Why?"

"I have no good reason." I lied.

I couldn't bring myself to tell her that her husband was always making sexual advances at me. I was looking out for her because of her health challenge.

"You are hiding something from me. I know that body language." She said.

"That's not it ma." I denied.

She shrugged. "If you say so."

"In case you change your mind, my home is always open to you." She said, before leaving me to myself.

Same day, I packed all my things into four large boxes. I called mama and informed her of my intentions. She didn't welcome the idea but there was no stopping me, my mind was made up already. I was ready to start life all over again at my small hometown.

My phone beeped. I picked it up and saw a credit alert text message. One million naira was credited into my account by Susan. I couldn't believe what I saw, I read the message all over and over again. I was rich for life! I ran to her room and thanked her fervently.

*****

Life began well for me. I invested a large part of my money into shoe and bag making business, at town. I employed two young men and two young women to work for me, the business bloomed. My small company made shoes and leather bags and supplied to people in neighbouring towns. I became very much financially stable. I moved my family to a new house at the GRA. As for my lover Ferdinand, I paid him a visit once in a week, and my love for him grew by the day.

I communicated with Susan once in while to check up on her. Nemesis caught up with Simon when he was caught red-handed in bed with a new maid. Susan ended her thirteen year old marriage and moved to France with her daughters. According to her, due to depression, Simon developed mental illness and had to live on medication all through his life.

*******

Two years and ten months later, Ferdinand was set free from prison. A month later, he proposed marriage to me and I gladly accepted. Our marriage ceremony was a simple and quiet one. Only a few persons were invited. Idara, my best friend was my maid of honour. The night after our church wedding, Ferdinand and I lodged in a fancy hotel.

"We won't stay long in Nigeria. Like I promised, you and Rose will move with me to London, or Ukraine. Anyone of your choice."

"London is fine." I giggled.

"You will further your education there. I don't want you to give up on your dreams." He kissed my forehead.

I put my arms over his shoulders and looked deep into his alluring, hazel eyes. "I love how you love me."

"I'm glad I married you. I'm the luckiest man alive." He grabbed me by the waist, grinning.

"The feeling is mutual. Thank you for loving me." I responded warmly.

The End.

©Maryamada Kasi
2020