CH. 7

Esme walked along the corridor towards her classroom one morning. It was the usual. Five steps in, she passes by Secondary Level 1 of Toshiko High. Noisy as usual. Twenty steps in, the familiar smell of paint and spirit wafted through her nose as she passes by the Visual Art's department.  It was nice and quiet. The art students peacefully go about their routine in silence. The next room was the sports and equipment department. And in the department, there is a small room used to be a store for old books and records, is the office of Miss Jade Williams.  Esme never took a single step in the sports department last term. This year, she seems to be frequently visiting the department. Esme shook her head in wonder. She never did any private consultation for assignments with any teachers before. But because of one project, she broke her record.

Speaking of  Ms. J, I wonder what she meant when she said I needed a little color. I get the part where I need to give and help others. But color? What is she implying? Do I need to color my hair like her? Esme as always, deep in her own world.

"Good morning, Esme," Kayden's low morning voice broke into her thoughts. She would have walked straight to him if he did not greet her. Esme looked up and found Kayden was already gazing down at her.

"Heyyyyyyy, Esme!" Noah cheerfully greeted Esme from behind Kayden.

Esme tilted her head to the side, nods a 'good morning' to Noah, then looks back up at Kayden. Both Kayden and Noah were dressed in Toshiko's official sport's sweater. 

"Don't smile. I don't have 5 bucks with me." Kayden lowered his head a bit and whispered for only Esme to hear.

Esme surpassed a sudden urge to laugh. She smiled with her eyes instead.

"I won't." She said with a tone matching his. He is tall. Esme finally noticed the height difference. She is considered to be one of the tallest girls in the class and only a few male students were above her line of gaze. 

"Yo, guys. What are you whispering about? Tell me. Tell me~" Noah interrupted their secret conversation.

"What do you mean whispering? Didn't you hear I was just telling her good morning," Kayden turned and grabbed Noah by the arm. "Come on. We are going to be late for training." 

Esme just nodded along and stepped aside to give way. The boys were barely out of the class when Kayden suddenly turned back and grabbed Esme's upper arm. Esme whirled around, surprised to be suddenly grabbed like that.

"I won't be in class for the whole day. The basketball team has special training. It is the tournament season soon." Kayden felt like explaining.

"Okay... mentally noted." Esme nodded. She was about to move on when Kayden tightens his grip.

"And..."

Esme looked down at where he was gripping. "And... ?" she helpfully reminds Kayden to finish his sentence.

Kayden's face flushed a little. "... and, if you have anything for me, just put it in my locker. I'll collect it after practice. Anything regarding the project, I mean." Then he let go of her arm, turned, and was leaving.

Now it was Esme's turn to grab his arms. Kayden's was just as surprised as Esme when he grabbed her arm earlier. Kayden looked down at the feminine hand that was gripping his arm. He looked at Esme with a questioning look.

"Your combination." Esme offered when he did not say anything.

"Oh, right! Do you have a p--?"

Esme whipped out a pen and a small notebook from her pocket. "I always carry them around," Esme felt like explaining when Kayden's eyebrows were raised.