8. A Journey Begins

Raja recognized Prince Theodore as soon as their eyes met and caught a hint of recognition from the young prince when he subtly raised one of his perfectly curved eyebrows. Years had passed since he had last seen Prince Theodore of the Kingdom, but the handsome man seemed to have resisted aging. His curly brown hair complemented his olive skin as it framed his regal bone structure. His youthful smile highlighted his high cheeks and his long nose hinted at his distant relationship with his cousin, the Queen. Theodore nodded to Raja as he watched them from the top of the gangway, then switched his guarded anticipation back to the Master. Raja wondered about their relationship and why Paulo risked using the Kingdom's youngest prince as his transportation.

Once they were close enough, the thin royal wrapped the Master in a warm embrace and took his arm with a casual intimacy. This affection and Paulo's acceptance of it surprised Raja. There was so much more to the Master than his appearance suggested. Doubt festered in Raja's heart. Who was this savior who brought a royal ship of the Kingdom to rescue them? Though not at war, the Kingdom remained a historic rival of the Queendom, and the presence of the King's son would not go unnoticed.

"Welcome aboard my ship, Fortune's Friend," the prince greeted Raja with his careless light tone after he had released the Master.

"Luckily, you are safe. The message barely arrived in time," Theodore admitted, directing his words back to Paulo as he waved to his sailors, who had completed the mooring only minutes ago. Immediately, they started the work to launch the ship from the dock.

"We must leave before the tide goes out," he explained to his guests as he led them across the main deck to the hold.

"The couple," the prince nodded to Raja and Natalia, who still slept in Raja's arms, "will share the main guest suite." The young royal pointed to a door and smiled again reassuringly. Something deep inside of Raja wanted to trust this man. He distrusted this desire and wanted to blame magic, but Raja's father told him the Kingdom's youngest son possessed none.

"Rest today. My people will let you sleep as long as you would like. There is dry food in the cool chest if you are hungry." Theodore looked at the sleeping woman with mild interest. "Such a small thing for such big trouble." His hand reached towards her, but he drew back without making contact.

"And you will be staying in your usual room," the prince said to Paulo as he glanced away from Natalia to the Master in a friendly dismissal.

The relationship between this Master and the prince continued to piqued Raja's interest, but he knew a Master's business was his own, so he quelched his curiosity.

The luxurious suite he walked into announced the Kingdom's wealth and prestige to all that entered. Hand-carved wooden furniture mixed with embroidered pillows and quilted blankets, but the value lay in the application of magic on mundane items. The coolbox near the door, the torches on the wall, and even the room temperature were controlled by expensive and time-consuming magic. Raja sighed at the conspicuousness of it and laid his burden on the large bed pressed against the back wall. His new wife stirred as he removed her soft boots and breeches. The skinny legs that now lay bare still bore many small scars. Either these had been fresh wounds, and the Fire had faded them, or they were old and ignored by the magic. Fire was a capricious healer, unlike Water.

Raja sat on the bed next to her and let his thoughts dwell on her plight. What had this woman been through? Would she try to harm herself when she woke? After all these years, would Natalia's love for Lukas be enough to keep her alive? Especially now that she had felt the new bond between Lukas and Raja? With a shake of his head, he stopped the questions and inspected the room for a place to sleep.

Raja discarded the idea of sleeping on the chaise near the small window. It would be safer, he believed, if he lay next to Natalia. This way, he would feel her stir when she awoke despite the risk of her touch. Raja gambled that a light touch might not give her much access to his mind in her current state.