Chapter 5: a promise

Y/n pov

I make it home with the food for everyone. Well I'm sure squigly doesn't need to eat but whatever. I put the bag down on the counter and I begin placing everything away. After all was said and done I looked around the kitchen to see that The tableware was all over the place.

"Oh well. I need to get my mind off of things." I say as I start to clean the dishes. But before I do I pull out my phone.

I scrolled through my music library. From there I found a song and played it.

"Ah. I love panic at the disco." Say as I listen to the song.

I feel the nostalgia as when it was actually a band. I was sad when they broke up and it's all Brandon now. They had such dreams for the band. Now they all went their own way.

'You seem fond of this 'panic at the disco' group. Why is that?' The heart asks.

'You see I grew up with panic at the disco. There songs are all that would listen to when I was sad, happy, angry, and down. They helped me through my teenage years when depression was in my head.' I reply.

'I see. So I'm a way they are your guardian?' It asks.

I chuckled. 'In a way yes. They are. They had such dreams together but after they broke up its never been the same. That's one reason I don't want friends. I'm afraid of saying goodbye.' I reply.

'I understand. You have given me much to think about.' It says.

'Hey sometimes it's good to talk to others. You give me great comfort knowing I have someone to talk to. If I talk to my mother she would never let it go.' I say.

'I see. Well i'll leave you to it.' It says as it goes silent.

I finish the dishes and I wash my hands. I take a deep breathe and I look at the time. Only one and a half hours have past. I went to go check in everyone.

First I checked mom. I opened the door to see her sleeping soundly. I smile and I kiss her check saying goodnight and leaving. Next I checked on Filia. I opened her door to see her sleeping as well. Samson woke up and saw me.

"Y/n? What are you-" I silenced him.

"I'm just checking up on you all." I say. He then goes back to sleep.

Next I checked on Marie. She seemed to be having a nightmare. I went up to her bed and I hugged her.

"P-please d-don't leave me." She says.

I run her head and I say.

"Shh. Don't worry Marie. You won't be alone anymore. I'll be here to protect you." I sooth her. She calms down and sleeps more calmly. I tuck her in and I pet her head. She smiles and I leave.

Finally I go to check on squigly. I opened my door to see her sleeping but Leviathan awake.

"Leviathan? Your worried for squigly aren't you?" I ask.

"Indeed master y/n. You see we are connected to the Skullheart. When it beats inside a host we arise. Our sole purpose is to kill the skullgirl and we go back to rest." He says.

I never knew. She only comes back to life only to kill the skullgirl and go back to the grave. But I have to ask.

"Hey Leviathan?" I ask.

"Yes?" He replies.

"What happened to the contiellos?" I ask him.

I know it's a sensitive question for him and squigly. But she is asleep. I can keep it a secret for him.

"Promise me that you won't tell anyone else." He says. I nod reassuring him.

"Okay. The contiellos were in league with the Medici's at the time. We sing for them in turn we were safe from there Wrath. But one day squigly's mother got the Skullheart mysteriously. She hid it from everyone and would only use it for emergencies.

But then the Medici's came. Somehow they found out that Selene was in possession of the Skullheart. They slaughtered everyone there. A woman by the name of Black Dahlia shot squigly in the head killing her. Overwhelmed with grief Selene used the heart to wish everyone back to life.

But the heart turned her into the skullgirl. My master squigly's father made one last wish before dying. He wanted me to take over squigly before she could become a minion of the skullgirl. I made it in time to save her mind so she was free.

But now this is the fate we share. Eventually Selene was killed and the heart was gone. But at the same time we died as well. We were buried waiting for the next skullgirl to appear so that we may rise again to stop her.

Which leads us to now. The next skullgirl is out there and we must stop her before she causes any damage." Leviathan finishes before breathing.

"Thank you for listening to our tale. It relieves me knowing that people like you exist." He says.

Squigly then shifts and turns in her sleep.

"She having a nightmare about her past." He says.

I reach my hand for her but I ask him.

"May I?"

"You May master y/n." He says.

I run my hand on her head. Her hair is soft and silky to the touch. Her skin feels ice cold yet warm at the same time.

"Squigly, no sienna." Her head stops and stays still.

"Y/n?" She says in her sleep.

"Sienna. I know something is troubling you. But whatever it is you don't have to suffer it alone. I know the feeling of losing someone you love. It's painful and unbearable but your not the only one." I say.

"There are many others out there that share your pain. You are not alone because I am here. I am here to lift you up off your feet and carry you if you fall. I will be your shield against the hate and pain. I will be a shoulder you can cry on in your saddest moments. I am here for you so please, don't cry. I want you to smile knowing that Your not alone." I say. In that moment she smiles and her head turns to snuggle in my hand.

I look at Leviathan and he nods. I move my hand away and I whisper goodnight into her ear as I leave. I bid Leviathan goodnight as well as I leave.

'I sense the good in you y/n. Even against your wishes you promised to be with her. You truly are a selfless human being.' The heart says.

I laugh.

'I'm not selfless. In all honesty I'm far from that. I lied, I stole, and I hurt others just to protect my mother. I suffered all the insults, the heartbreaks, and the beatings just to protect her. I'm dying because of that. All the bad I did was for my mother.' I say.

'You May think that your bad but I think otherwise. You a good man y/n you just need to see it.' The heart says before going silent.

I shake my head. I'm no hero or savior. I'm a bad man who's expecting good to happen to him.