Bag of Bones (Jean POV)

We'd like to recommend Andrew Judah's "Fear" if you're interested in listening to a song that put you in the mood for our new fic. Thank you for your reading eyes! We'll be posting a chapter every Sunday--hope to see you there! 

**written by blueTshirts**

7:27 PM 

 The darkness always makes things worse. Although, I don't think these woods need the darkness to make them feel any more despairing. The Jaeger Estate does that just fine on its own.

Towering pine trees with thin, ragged trunks protrude from the ground like arrows from a bale of hay. The space between the trees is filled with hanging branches, patchy foliage, and inky darkness. Above the trees there are patches of sky dotted with lights. I can't decide if it's comforting or not. It only reminds me that we're in the middle of nowhere. 

I frown at the nature around us, it gives me the creeps. I sigh breathing in the smell of burning logs, moist air, and weed. Marco gets our bags out of the trunk of my car, strapping them on his back and making him look like a human pack mule. I don't know why he brought so much stuff. We're only here for the weekend, and all we're going to do is smoke, eat, and chill. 

I glance at the cabin in front of us. It's so weird being here. It's been over a year now since the last time all twelve of us spent time here. To be fair, Eren hasn't really had much time to party for a while now. Not since his half-brother, Zeke, was accused of murdering five people. 

"Let's get inside," I mutter to Marco who, for some reason, is digging through one of his bags and using his phone as a flashlight. 

"I think I forgot my face wash," he says like he's perfectly content standing out here like these woods aren't completely haunted. 

"Why are you looking for your face wash?" I ask, annoyed. 

"Did you bring any?" he asks, ignoring me. 

"No, I didn't bring any damned face wash, just use someone else's. Let's just go inside," I whine taking a cautious look over my shoulder. The only thing there is to see are very dark, very intimidating woods. I can't shake the feeling that someone, or something, is watching us. 

Maybe Zeke isn't in prison like the news says. 

Marco looks up from his bag with an eyebrow raised at me. "You good?" he asks with a slight smirk as he recognizes my panic face.

"I'm fine, I just don't want to be out here any longer."

His smirk deepens, "You scared?"

I glare at him. "Shut up, dick, it's just weird, okay? Like aren't you uncomfortable too? His brother literally stashes the bodies in the woods here."

"The bodies aren't here anymore, Jean," Marco says.

"Yeah, but what if their ghosts are?"

Marco starts snickering and pinches my chin. "You're so cute."

"Don't call me cute," I pout.

"Mm, you're even cuter when you're angry."

"I'll hit you," I warn.

Marco tilts his head with a point of challenge. "You can go in without me, you know."

Hm, a forest full of ghosts or a room full of all the people that make me want to blow my brains out half the time. I purse my lips together. "I'll wait."