Dragged Through Fear (Marco POV)

**written by: blueTshirts** 

12:10 AM 

My heart's thrumming in my chest. My hands tighten around the body of the late Dr. Jaeger's rifle. I can hear Jean's breath wheeze quietly in the back of his throat even though he's trying to be quiet. Somewhere in the back of my mind I question the sanity of this plan, even the sanity of the situation. I wish we hadn't come. I guess Jean was right.

I crouch behind the curtain of the back sliding door of the cabin. Jean kneels next to me behind the kitchen counter as we both peer out at the dark outside waiting for headlights and a car horn to start going off. I try to avoid looking at the drying blood beneath our feet. I can't think about that right now.

It's dark, everything is black. The only light is from the moon through the trees. I squint through the darkness looking for any sort of movement. Dread fills my gut as my vision plays games with me. The harder I concentrate the more it seems like there are shapes around the trunks of trees, wandering animals through the bushes, arms swaying in the wind, demons lurking at the edges of shadows.

I swallow.

I almost jump when I feel Jean's hand wrap around the back of my bicep. I glance at him. He's terrified. His face is clouded in sharp, dark shadows and fear. My chest aches knowing that this is literally one of his worst nightmares when coming here. First off, he honestly doesn't like Eren, plus, he doesn't care all too much for the rest of them. He came because I asked him to. Besides the fact that Jean is surrounded by people he'd rather not be around, he's in the middle of the woods. Jean's from the city, he'd rather be in the slums surrounded by crime and garbage than in the middle of woods with creatures and nature. He's completely out of his element.

And now this shit is happening.

I hold eye contact trying to tell him with my stare that I'm sorry for all of this happening, that I'm going to take care of him, and that I love him so much. I see his shoulders sag with a sigh.

Reiner and Berthold are already gone with Sasha and Connie right behind them. I'm fairly certain that the four of them will be alright together, they're a tough batch now fueled by fear and survival instincts. If they come in contact with the killer, I could almost feel bad for the guy with what they'd do to him if he tried anything.

I do my best to stay optimistic. That's all we have at this point. We just have to stick to the plan and this might work. I trust the other guys. I just hope there aren't any surprises for us around the corner.

Jean and I both wince at the echoing car alarm going off on the other side of the building. Flashing lights bounce off the trees. The shadows seem to move even more. The strobing light does nothing to settle my fear for what we're about to throw ourselves into.

My hand reaches up to the handle of the door. I muster as much strength into my arm to keep it from shaking. Before I can vault the door open, Jean grabs my wrist and pulls my hand away from the handle.

"Jean-" I blurt in a whisper. He ignores me and pulls my arm towards him. He smashes our lips together and gives me a panicked and desperate kiss. I almost wish he hadn't, it settles a deeper fear into my bones that I didn't want to think about. The thought of one of us getting hurt, or worse, makes me want to back out of the plan and fend for ourselves in fleeting fear.

His hand moves to the back to my neck to pull me back. He stares into my eyes, serious, a courage moves it way into his muscles that does it's best to hide from the fear. He tells me that he's got my back with his eyes. I swallow a rising feeling of suffocation.

"Don't be a hero," he says quietly as he grabs the handle of the door himself and looks out the glass door for a last check to see if anyone is waiting for us.