The Call to Arms (Levi POV)

**written by: thesketchytepe** 

12:28 AM 

"I'm just saying. Isn't it weird that women tend to be intrigued with murder more than men, and yet men are more likely to kill rather than women?" Hanji asks like an idiot.

Erwin who's sitting across from her raises his eyebrow and tilts his empty wine glass to the side. "You're a homicide detective Hanji."

"Exactly!" she says. "Why are women so entranced by the dangers that are likely to happen to them? It's like chickens working at a McDonalds."

"Have you ever seen a chicken working at McDonalds?" Erwin asks as he raises his wine glass to his lips to sip at nothing.

"No, but that doesn't mean there isn't one out there."

I groan to myself. Petra pats my knee and gives me a smirk. Erwin and Petra have no idea how long I've fucking listened to Hanji rant about stupid shit. And yet they continue to insist on doing a wine night once a month together. They don't have to work with Hanji everyday. I do.

The shriek of my phone is the first thing this evening to make Hanji quit rambling for a single fucking moment.

I don't dare to spare a moment considering taking the call or not. I'm already standing without having looked at the caller and ready to exit the group in their one sided conversation.

Petra looks up at me as I stand. The slight squint in her eyes tells me that she's jealous of my luck. I raise an eyebrow at her.

"Just a moment," I lie, already having decided that I'll hang up the call quickly and smoke for another twenty minutes on the front porch.

I step away from the creaky patio chair of Erwin's backyard and glance at my phone. I pause.

Hm.

"Who is it?" Petra asks, noticing my slight hesitation.

I stare at the phone. It's past midnight on a Friday night. Why would he be calling me this late?

"Eren Jaeger," I state without looking up at my wife.

"Eren-?" Petra starts but is cut off by Four Eyes.

"Eren Jaeger? At 12:30 in the morning?" Hanji asks as her attention is immediately diverted to our "favorite" little project.

I look up at Hanji with a flat expression. She obviously cares more than I do considering the worried look on her face. Erwin watches me with a careful stare. Eren Jaeger's psychiatrist doesn't have as much freedom with conversations about his patient, usually Hanji and I try to avoid the topic of the Jaeger's around Erwin just because we know it's not fair to him.

I sigh and answer the call.

"Detective Ackerman-"

"Levi?" A worried voice hushed with hurried breathing asks through my phone.

My eyebrows narrow. I look at Hanji knowing she's listening. "Where's Eren?" I ask the unknown voice.

"Levi, it's Armin. Armin Arlert? Eren's friend."

Fuck.

"I know who you are Armin, why are you using Eren's phone?"

A shaky sigh whispers through staticy reception. "We need help. I don't have a lot of time but we're in danger. Please, send the authorities to the Jaeger Estate immediately." Armin Arlert's voice is chopped with jagged cuts in sound and coated with anxiety.

Hanji's face twists as I look at her while listening to Arlert's frantic voice. "What happened, Armin?" I ask in a low voice.

"One of our friends is dead." A hiccup catches in Armin's voice. "Possibly more."