Shrink, Shrank, Shrunk: Part 1

I breathed in the air of the city, although it was nothing like the air upstate, it was comforting, in a sense. It reminded me of my father.

I sat alone on the rooftop of the school, just thinking about whatever came to mind. Peter was eating lunch with Ned, but I didn't mind. That's when an announcement rang out, breaking my thoughts.

"Katelyn Strange, please report to the main office. Katelyn Strange to the main office."

I frowned. "What is it this time?" I groaned, then got up and finished my sandwich before walking downstairs and to the main office.

As I walked in, the office ladies looked to me, glaring slightly less than normal. I suppose they must've been in a good mood that day. The principal walked out of his office, motioning me inside. I followed with a small sigh, wondering who lied about me this time. I sat down in a chair across from his desk, then looked to him for answers.

"Miss Strange, congratulations."

"W...?" I tipped my head, extremely confused. "What?"

"Because of your high GPA, especially in your technology classes, you've been selected as a candidate to travel to California."

"What?!" I exclaimed, though I kept my voice down as much as possible so I didn't yell.

"You're going to meet up with Hank Pym, a technology genius."

I sat back, trying to take it all in. "California...?"

"San Francisco, California. I've already talked it over with your father."

"My father is okay with it?" I whispered.

"Yes, he is."

I stayed silent, taking it in. California was across the country. I took a long moment to think about it when suddenly the bell rang out, making me jump. The principal simply chuckled and sent me on my way.

I all but ran to the lunch room. I couldn't wait to tell Peter. I walked quickly over to where he was sitting, sliding in beside him. "Hey," I said as sooth as I could, though he was surprised to see me.

"Katelyn?" Peter asked. "Oh no, did I get my days mixed up? I'm so sorry, I-"

I shushed him as the kids started filing reluctantly out of the lunch room. "Have you ever heard of Hank Pym?"

"Uh, yeah, only the leading name in nanotechnology." I smiled giddily, and he seemed to understand. "No."

"Yes!" I all but screamed and hugged him tightly.

He chuckled a bit and hugged me tightly. "So, when is he coming?"

"He's not," I replied, pulling back to look at him. "I'm going to California."

"Whoa!" He replied as we started to walk toward class. "No way!"

"Yes way!" I squealed. Peter chuckled and hugged me. That's when my phone vibrated in my pocket. I pulled it out, answering the familiar name. "Thank you!" I squealed again.

My father chuckled on the other end. "You're leaving tomorrow, 10:00 is your flight."

"But what about-"

"Kate, this has been in the works for two months. It's all ready for you."

I squealed once more. "Thank you thank you thank you!!!!"

"Alright, now get to class," he said before hanging up.

I put my phone in my pocket then hugged Peter tightly. "I'm leaving tomorrow! Can you see me off?"

Peter smiled and hugged my back. "Of course I can! Now come on, we've gotta get to gym."