Chapter 5

I get up from the bed and look around the room. I've never been to Michael's house before. I wonder how many women have woken up in his bed in the two years that he had lived here.

I try to piece together the night's events but once again I come up short. My mind is blank and I'm unable to focus on anything. I am frustrated and want to scream. I hear a soft knock on the door and see Michael come in. He looks upset. Is he upset with me? I'm so tired and so confused.

"How are you feeling?" He asks not looking directly at me.

"I still don't know what happened but I should probably get going." I say awkwardly shifting my weight to my other foot.

"It's better if you stay here until morning."

"Why?"

"It's for your protection." Michael replies and turns to leave but I grab his arm so he would stop and look at me. "Michael, what's going on?" You are all acting so strange."

Michael turns to face me, he is so close to me I can feel the heat radiating from him.

"There was a problem at the club and I would feel better if you spend the night." He says choosing his words carefully it seems.

I don't remember what happened but I suddenly feel so guilty so I blurted out, "I am sorry if I caused any trouble."

Michael cups my face and I put my hands on his upper arms, he looks me in the eyes and says, "Don't you ever blame yourself for the actions of others, you have no control over what happened tonight and you shouldn't be sorry for anything."

"Maybe if you tell me I would feel better, I can't remember any if it." I say as he moves to the other side of the room and I instantly miss his warmth as he does.

"Sorry Jess, that is something you need to remember by yourself, I can't tell you."

I don't like any of this secrecy and truth be told I'm growing very tired of it.

"Where is Melissa?" I ask knowing that at least one of my questions will be answered.

"She passed out on the couch." Michael says sitting down on the edge of the bed.

"So why don't I go and sleep out there with her and then you can have your bed back." I suggest; it just doesn't feel right being in his room.

"It's no problem I will bring her Melissa here."

I know I won;t win this argument so I agree and he leaves for a few moments then returns with Melissa, he lays her down on the bed and pulls a blanket over her. She must have changed at some point now she is wearing sweatpants and a tank top, Michael kisses her on the top of her head and whispers, "Sweet dreams." I know he really loves his sister. He would anything for her that I am sure of.

"Can I get you something more comfortable to sleep in?" He asks.

"Please." I blush fully aware that I have nothing here.

Michael takes a shirt out from his cupboard and hands it to me,"Sorry but I highly doubt my pants would fit you."

"This is fine, thank you."

When Michael leaves I take my clothes off and pull his shirt on, it smells like him luckily the shirt comes to my knees. I get under the covers next to Melissa and turn the light off lying in the darkness listening to Melissa's steady breathing.