Chapter 10

I turn to Jared who is still standing next to me, "Can I call Melissa please and let her know I'm okay?"

"Sure but where is your phone?" He asks, lifting his eyebrow.

Damn that is hot! Focus Jessica. I slap a smile on my face and reply, "I don't have one. I hate them actually they are so impersonal."

Jared shakes his head and chuckles as he pulls his phone out of his pocket and hands it to me. I dial Melissa's number, it rings exactly once before she answers, "Jared you piece of shit! If you touched her I will put my six inch heel through your thick skull!"

What? "Mel, it's me." I manage, turning to Jared smirk of course he heard every word she said.

"Oh thank God, Jess" She breathes relieved. "Where are you?"

"I'm fine. I just wanted to let you know I'm still breathing and that I will see you later."

"Jess, don't stay with him, you can't trust him, whatever he has told you is a lie!"

"He has told me more than any of you had besides I don't think he wants to hurt me." I say looking into his beautiful green eyes then I move down to his mouth. Oh I want to kiss that mouth. He smiles but I have no chance of returning it. Michael is on the phone, "Where are you? You are not safe with that thing! Tell me where the hell you are so I can come and get you!"
I don't want to talk to him at all so I hang up. I really don't like being shouted at or told what to do. I hand Jared back his phone and our hands touch briefly I pull away quickly. Holy shit! I felt that tingle shoot through my entire body. I take my plate to the couch avoiding any eye contact. I sit near the fireplace and dig in. The hamburger is amazing. I feel so much better. Stronger even. He takes the couch opposite me and doesn't eat.

"I didn't realize just how angry I am at all of them for keeping whatever this is from me." I stay staring into the fire.

"They had their reasons I suppose." He replies stiffly.

"What happened between all of you anyway?" I ask still staring into the fire like it is going to give me all the answers I want.

"What do you mean?"

I turn to him, "I get the feeling that you don't like each other that much."

"It's a very long story and I am sure their version differs from mine." He replies. I notice his eyes becoming darker and wonder if this is a sad story.

"I'm not in a hurry to leave." I smile encouragingly, I hope.

He studies me for a moment, "Well it was about two years ago, Michael had been dating this girl she broke it off, anyway I meet her a few months later not knowing who she was but I liked her so we started dating and when Michael and Dean found out they accused me of forcing her to be with me and break up with Michael. She couldn't take it anymore I guess and the one day she was all packed up and gone. I never heard from her again."

"That's terrible." I can't imagine what he must have gone through at that time.

"It's all in the past but after that I don't think that I will ever be able to like them."
"How long were you together?"

"For about six months before they found out and two months of absolute hell. I don't blame her for leaving."

"I am so sorry." I can't believe that Michael and Dean would do something like that to another person.

"It's not your fault." He says.

"I've been meaning to ask you. How did you get Melissa out of the house during the day?"