1. Thrushpelt and Bluefur

"Bluefur?" Thrushpelt was calling her from the trail ahead, his sandy-gray pelt blending with the walls of frost-brunt bracken. "Are you okay?" His eyes were round with concern. Bluefur padded on with her head down.

"Just going back to camp." He didn't step aside to let her pass, but gently held his tail up to block her way.

"Stop," he ordered. She looked into his eyes and saw a tenderness that took her by surprise. "Rosetail has just congratulated me on becoming a father," he meowed. Bluefur felt the world spin around her. She loved Thrushpelt too but she could imagine how hurt he would be when he realized that they might not be his.

"She couldn't! She promised!"

"Is she right? Are you having kits?"

"I'm so sorry. I-I" She stopped. She couldn't give anything away.

"So you are going to have kits?" Thrushpelt pressed. Bluefur blinked.

"Yes, I am." She waited for him to ask why she didn't tell him, why Rosetail did, but he just stood and watched her. At last he spoke.

"I'm not going to ask why you didn't tell me," he meowed. "I'm sure there's a reason why you've kept this secret." Bluefur plucked at a fern straying across the ground.

"I'm sorry it didn't work out differently. O-Oakheart is also my mate and I didn't want to tell you in case the kits are his. But now everything has gone wrong, and I don't know what to do." Thrushpelt shifted his paws.

"You can tell the Clan I'm the father, if you want. I mean, they could actually be mine after all." Bluefur stared at him.

"You'd really do that?" Was she the only cat not willing to make a sacrifice for these kits? Thrushpelt nodded.

"You know how I feel about you, Bluefur. I'd do my best to make you happy, I promise. And I'll love your kits as though they were mine, which they might be."

"Thank you Thrushpelt," Bluefur mewed.

"I love you Bluefur," Thrushpelt murmured. Bluefur twined her tail with his.

"I love you too Thrushpelt," Bluefur whispered. "I promise you that I like you more than him." Thrushpelt looked uncomfortable at the mention of Oakheart.

"You better," He teased. "Now let's go back at enjoy some fresh-kill before there's none left."

==========A Few Moons Later==========

"It won't be long," Featherwhisker murmured, concentrating hard as Bluefur shuddered
with another contraction. Spottedpaw leaned in close.

"Put your paw here." Featherwhisker placed his new apprentice's paw on Bluefur's belly. "Can you feel her body trying to push the kits out?"

Spottedpaw nodded solemnly. When Goosefeather had moved to the elders' den half a
moon ago, Spottedpaw had begged to switch from her warrior training to learning to be a medicine cat. Featherwhisker had told Sunstar that he could think of no better apprentice. Her memory for herbs was outstanding, and even more important, the pretty young tortoiseshell's compassion shone in every word and every look.

"Get your paws off!" Bluefur hissed, wracked by another contraction. As it faded she saw
dismay in Spottedpaw's gentle gaze. "Sorry," she muttered. "I just didn't expect it to hurt this much."

"Did I hurt you?" Spottedpaw fretted.Featherwhisker stroked his tail along the young cat's flank.

"No," he assured her. "Queens can be a bit crabby when kitting." He narrowed his eyes at
Bluefur. "Some are crabbier than others."