L|Chapter TWENTY.

Beyoncé BK Knowles .

Two updates in a day because y'all deserve it
❤️

ONIKA'S fingers still grip my sweater, her innocent touch driving me fucking wild with wanting her. Holding her close, she fits against me perfectly, as if she were made for me. It was like this between us last time. The moment I pulled her into my arms, it was like we were two pieces of a puzzle that finally clicked together.

Half the reason I'd been scared shitless before. Still. No other woman feels this... right in my arms. And I haven't even kissed her yet. It feels damn good just to hold her, which is ridiculous because I don't need to just hold a woman.

I should have her sprawled naked and needy beneath me, screwing her brains out at this very moment. Forget emotion, forget everything but that driving need to consume. That's how I usually operate.

Yet here I am. Acting like I'm in junior high and holding hands with a girl for the first time. Terrified and out of my mind with it.

"Is this just an excuse to get in my pants?" she finally asks, her voice wary. She's so damn smart. "You wanting me to work for you in such close circumstances? Seems pretty desperate if you ask me."

Slowly shaking my head, I let my thumb drift across her plump lower lip. Only a month since I last kissed her and I can vividly remember her taste. The sounds she makes. The way she wound her arms around my neck, her slender fingers threading through my hair. Her touch had felt so damn good. Too good.

Fuck. That's exactly it. She's too damn good for me. I need to remember this.

"You're the only woman I can trust, Onika," I murmur, my heart lodging in my throat, making it hard to speak. "The only woman who understands me and my life and my career and what's required. I know you won't leak any information about the new location. And I know I can trust you to help me make the right decisions when it comes to designing the interiors."

A trembling breath escapes her, the gust of air brushing against my thumb. My heart rate kicks up into a steady gallop and I inhale deeply. Trying my damnedest to act like she doesn't affect me.

But holy shit, does she ever affect me.

"How can I understand you when I don't even really know you, Beyoncé? We've never been close." Her gaze drops to my lips, lingering there. "Despite what... happened between us last time, there's nothing between us."

I feel like there's too much between us, but I won't go there now. "You've been a part of my life for a long time. You've known me since I was a teenager. Before I became... this." The consummate playgirl who can have any woman I want at any time. The workaholic hotelier who throws herself into her business until all she can do is live and breathe Hush. And now there's Lust.

"Yeah, well my feelings still haven't changed about you. I think you're crazy." She gasps when I lean in and brush my lips against the right corner of her mouth. That quick sample of her soft skin makes me ache for more. "Wh-why are you kissing me?"

"Because I need to." I kiss the left corner, moving to capture her upper lip between both of mine, nibbling a little bit before I release her. "I need your help, Onika. I can't get the resort ready without you."