❀ thirteen ❀

❀ ❀

❀ ❀

On November 6th, 2001, at 6:43 am, Solana Ahnae Cole was born to a Russell and Nia Cole. Luckily she was born on a day where there was no horrific terrorist attack, unlike your favorite narrator. Ever since her mom died, Soli would much rather order her favorite food, unwrap her gifts, and be surrounded by the people she loves the most. But this girl is turning seventeen, so let's see if I can change her mind.

[❀ ❀ ❀ ❀]

Soli was abruptly woken up by an interesting rendition of "Happy Birthday," sung by Rue and her dad, who's holding a vanilla cupcake with vanilla icing. She sits up with a sleepy smile on her face, and her dad hands her the cupcake. A pink candle is inserted into the icing, and once they're done, she closes her eyes, makes a small wish, and blows out the candle.

"Happy birthday, baby girl," Russell smiles, kissing her on her forehead. He stands back so Rue can give her a bear hug.

"Happy birthday, Soli!" Rue exclaims excitedly.

"Don't be too late for school, you two!" Russell grins, giving them both a wave before leaving her room, and shutting the door behind him.

"So what do you have planned for today?"

"You know," Soli chuckles, placing the cupcake on her nightstand beside her. "School, then home, order some food. You're welcome to come over later, and Jules too."

Rue frowns. "What? No, you have to at least have a little gathering. Smoke some weed, take a few shots."

Soli groans, resting her chin in the palm of her hand, mulling it over. Normally she wouldn't even consider partying, smoking or drinking for her birthday, but maybe she could have a little bit of fun for her seventeenth.

"Where would you have this gathering at?"

Rue claps her hands together. "Adrian's, duh."

Soli sinks into her bed, grabbing her pink heart-shaped pillow and placing it into her lap.

"What?"

"Adrian hasn't spoken to me since that Halloween party."

Rue furrows her eyebrows in confusion. "You guys live across the street from each other, and go to the same school. You're telling me he's been avoiding you for seven days?"

"Yeah," she chews on the inside of her bottom lip. She had no idea what she did to piss Adrian off so bad.

"Fuck that. I'm gonna go see what the problem is," Rue rises to her feet, but Soli grabs her arm to stop her.