Chapter 9 - Teach Me

This chapter's got some major spoilers so pay attention xx

It only occurred to me moments after being on the road that I had no idea where Axel’s office was. It was only when Martin parked that I was in awe of the tall structure that was Fletcher Tower. And to think that Axel owned half of that.

“The company owns that entire building?” I asked him.

“Yeah but they lease it out since they obvious can't use all the space.” Martin replied slamming the door closed. He pushed his hair back with his fingers despite the bandanna “Come on.” He led me through the marble ground reception which made me feel a bit embarrassed for wearing combat boots since they squeaked on the polished floor.

We took the elevator to the 12th floor where I assumed Fletcher Shipping was situated in. We were greeted by a red-haired receptionist who seemed very familiar with Martin.

“The office is down by the left. I’d like to take you there but I really need to get to Spencer’s like now.” He explained. I nodded giving him a side hug “Thanks for lunch. It was really nice to see you again.”

“You too Ken doll.” He gave me that signature sun-rivalling smile of his before strutting off to the elevator. I moved stiffly towards the direction he pointed me to meeting a strawberry haired receptionist with a too tight shirt working furiously on her computer.

“Excuse me.” She snapped her head to look at me.

“Yes?” she replied eyeing me as though she wasn’t entirely sure how I got into the building.

I swallowed “Um, I'm here to see Axel. He told me to come meet him in his office.”

She dropped her pen “Who are you?”

“Kendall Ross.”

She narrowed her eyes at me “Look Mr. Gold isn’t receiving any visitors right now. He’s instructed me not to let anyone disturb him.” What the hell was her problem?! I didn’t appreciate the way she kept looking at me like I was dirt on the carpet.

“Look I'll call him”-

“That won’t be necessary.” She cut me off pretty rudely. I opened my mouth about to utter another of protest but Axel came out of his office saving me the trouble. “What’s the problem Stacie? I thought I told you I was expecting someone.”

“Well earlier today you said that you didn’t want to be disturbed.” The tight shirt blonde I assumed was called Stacie said without looking at me. What the heck was the bitch saying?!

“But about an hour ago I told you that I was expecting someone and to let them up.” Axel said tightly. Stacie shuffled some papers “Sorry sir. I was just following instructions.”

“Then use that brain of yours and listen whenever I tell you something. I told you specifically at 5 to let in the young man coming and I don’t tolerate you disobeying my orders unless you’d like to take your *CV somewhere else.” He said firmly. “Ok?”

She shrivelled back like a child who’s been scolded for being naughty in front of other adults. “I'm sorry it won’t happen again.”  

“It better not.” He turned to me and placed his hand on my back “Sorry about that. I'll just get my stuff then we can go.” I nodded “Ok.”

He went back into his office while I left standing there awkwardly with Stacey who was pretending to be absorbed in her work but I could see the steam radiating off her. I didn’t know what her problem with me was but she didn’t seem too keen on letting her boss have visitors.