To The Ends Of The Earth And Beyond

It had been five minutes. Emma had pulled away from Lucifer, whilst still seated on his lap. She felt Lucifer's worried eyes staring at her, yet she still couldn't process his words. He loves her? How? Suddenly she heard his voice calling out to her, saying her name. Blinking a few times, she closed her mouth and looked at him with a tilted head.

"I know you may think it's too soon-" without hesitation, Emma cur him off with a violent shake of her head.

"God no! It's not at all too soon. It's just. I can't seem to understand why or even how a devil would fall in love with a mere human. More so, can the devil even fall in love? If so, why me? Aren't you like supposed to hate me for ruining everything in your dimension? I mean-" Emma stooped her rant suddenly when she realised that she was simply just rambling at this point.

Lucifer however, looked at her with a calm smile. "To answer all your questions, let's see. Yes, the 'devil' can fall in love.. he just did. Um, you because from the very very short stay I've had here with you, your compassion, empathy, confidence, shyness, your beautiful grey eyes, it's all just so enchanting.. it ended up luring me in and tripping me very very hard."

Lucifer enjoyed the look of pure wonder in Emma's eyes as he spoke nothing but the truth. "And lastly, no. I'm not 'supposed' to hate you. Yes I'm supposed to be severely angry at you. But not hate. Your perceptions of the 'devil', uh me, are very different from what I actually am. I'm not evil. My point isn't to torture evil souls. I am merely the guardian of the underworld. I rule it. I'm kind of like the boss there.

"My grim reapers take the souls, they aren't in long hoods with scythes by the way.. just normal suits, so yea they take the souls, get them to the underworld where they are judged. If they're good enough for the heavens, we send them off. If they're not.. well they stay, and the rest you can guess." Emma nodded in understanding, although in reality, all this was way past her understanding.

"Is what you said related to you saving me?" Emma asked Lucifer softly. He nodded once. "What will happen then? Will you get in trouble?" This earned Emma a loud laugh from Lucifer.

"I am the top Sweetie. No one is in the position to get me in trouble. However, the truth is, you're now just in borrowed time. No one knows when you'll die or what will happen. What I said about a new path being crafted.. well it wasn't as simple as that."

"What do you mean?"

"I mean that paths are very time consuming to craft. There's already so many paths to create that when something like this happens, your case is just pending. No one really knows what your path will be. Humans come to earth to serve a meaning. Your path brings you to Earth when you're needed, and just like that, your path ends when you've accomplished what you were born for." Lucifer explained with a soft smile.

"So you're telling me that by living all alone in this tiny studio and waiting tables all day long..  was what I was born for? And I've managed to successfully be late so many times that I'm basically on the verge of getting fired.. that is what I was born for? Making a record? Worst employee of the year? Queen of tardiness?"

Emma's seriousness from when she started her long rant soon turned into loud giggles soon accompanied by Lucifer's chuckles too. "That is what you got from all of what I said?" Lucifer asked with yet another laugh.

"Anyway, my point is. You've basically been given a second chance to do whatever you want with your life. Sure you're not supposed to be here, and I've added yet another weird case to solve.. I want you to live your life happily okay? Promise me you won't meddle in other people's affairs all the time. When you can do something to help people out, go for it. But don't step completely out of your way all the time. Because remember, everything happens for a reason. Alright?"

Emma nodded silently, before her mind started brewing with other questions. The most important one, however. "What about you? Are you going back now?" She asked Lucifer with a sad frown. Wordlessly, he nodded, his red eyes getting even more dull.

"I have to. Me staying here for too long isn't good for the Earth either. Balance rememb-"

"I love you too." Emma cut him off yet another time, but this time, Lucifer's jaw dropped.

"You don't mean that." Lucifer said with a frown and a sad shake of his head.

"I do. And if there's anything I'd want to do with this 'borrowed' time then it's to be with the one and only man that actually loves me so much that he'd be willing to get in trouble with whoever makes the lists.. for me. So that I'd get another shot at life.. The man for whom I couldn't figure out my feelings until this exact moment. I've never ever said truer words before. I love you with my whole heart."

"No, you know we can't be together. I can't spend more time here Sweetie." Emma shook her head. She was determined.

"Then take me with you." Lucifer gasped. He examined her eyes and frowned when he saw nothing but determination, love and seriousness.

"I can't. I won't. I won't condemn you to hell forever." Emma ran her fingers over Lucifer's lips. She smiled when his eyes closed and he sighed.

"You can. And you will, because that's my choice. I ruined the balance remember. Lucifer I'm not even supposed to be here. I'm supposed to be dead. And trust me when I say I will follow you. To the Ends of The Earth. To wherever you take me. Even if it's hell itself." Lucifer's eyes shot open and he gasped. He searched for even a hint of hesitation in Emma's eyes.. but found none. Emma smiled at him and caressed his cheek. "Will I get mint chocolate chip ice cream there?"

Lucifer laughed. "Anything you want. Hot chocolate too." Emma's eyes widened when she realised what he was saying.

"I can come with you?" Lucifer nodded uneasily. Squealing, Emma lurched forward and embraced him in a tight hug.

"This is the first time I've seen such excitement come from a person about to enter hell."

"Nowhere is hell if you're there my love. Lucifer.. promise me you'll take care of me and love me forever and ever."

"I promise you. I will always take care of you and I will definitely love you forever and ever. You're sure you want this." Emma pulled back and stared into bright red eyes. Eyes she wanted to stare into for the rest of time.

"Never been more sure of anything in my life. I love you. Like I said, I will follow you To The Ends Of The Earth and beyond."

And just like that, the story of the devil and his lover wrapped up. Perhaps what our devil said really made sense. Perhaps Emmaline's brave acts were just truly a means to get her devil to her realm. All things really do happen for a reason.

Emmaline didn't believe in soulmates until she met hers.

The two lovers went on to the underworld, where they lived as immortals, happily ever after, and their promise to love each other forever and ever never broke. Of course, over the years, they made frequent visits to Emma's hometown. The ice cream in hell didn't have quite the touch that Dairy Fairy's ice cream had. Oh and Fairy was mighty happy that a certain tall and handsome red eyed guy came and swept her darling Emmaline off her feet.

————————-The End.————————