7

The guards had dragged Ivar out when the sun rose

The guards had dragged Ivar out when the sun rose. They did not answer when she asked where they were going. Nor did they spare her a look. Ivar looked completely calm, and he was confident to send her a wink on his way out. But her mind conjured the worst scenarios happening. And that was the moment she realized she was actually concerned.

She could tell it was past supper when they finally came for her. She didn't know if she was going to die, but whatever was going to happen is the will of the Gods. An overwhelming feeling hit her as she thought about what she said to Ivar last night. Dying alone. If this was her fate, then so be it. The rugged men dragged her through the town. She could hardly concentrate on the stares of people as she felt the pain on her ankles. The skin was bleeding now as she rubbed her legs over each other in her cell. The knife in her boot was still dangerously placed, and she felt that it would soon slice her skin.

Pushing her inside the great hall of Kattegat, she could hardly concentrate on the people around her. Or the King of Kattegat sitting powerfully on his throne as her eyes searched for Ivar. She found him sitting at the steps by the throne, almost like a dog still chained. Gunnhild stood beside her husband, her hand on his shoulder. Now that she looked around, not many people were here. Lagertha and a few of her shieldmaidens as it seemed, but they were not more than ten. Ubbe stood beside the queen, and she noticed beside him. Oh, how she despised the woman. Hvitserk was also sitting down by the fire. She gave him a taunting smirk as his eyes searched her over. Finally making eye contact with Ivar, his eyes asked if she was okay. Giving him a reassuring look, she looked in the eyes of the king.

"The man who was here to kill Ivar killed himself before we could question him." Biting her lip, she tried to hide her smirk. Now she knew for sure that it was one of Haldor's men. And more surely, she knew that it meant he was near. "That's why Ivar is here. From now on, you can walk freely in Kattegat—"

"Not that freely. You will have the chains and guards with you all the time," Gunnhild interrupted. Ivar smiled to himself before looking up.

"As you wish, my Queen." She wanted to laugh as he mocked her title. Bjorn turned his look towards her.

"As for you" —he looked towards his wife and then turned towards her again. It was clear Gunnhild influenced the decision— "I will give you money and send a rider to Gotaland, to give it to your people. And for that, you will stay beside Ivar and catch the one who tries to kill him." This time Ivar seemed to try to hide his smirk. Not that it was very successful.

"Of course, you will have a comfortable bed and be able to roam Kattegat freely under surveillance." Not letting her eyes of the king, she finally spoke her decision.

"I agree." She didn't look around the room to see shocked faces as she outstretched her hands and demanded them to be unchained. Bjorn commanded for his men, and when the chains hit the ground, she felt much more confident. She glided her hand softly on the chain marks on her ankles. It made her angry that her legs were bleeding.

"My men will show you to your room, and we will see you at the feast." She didn't know there was supposed to be any feast, but being able to finally eat a full coursed meal was something she was looking forward to. Ronja nodded before giving a fleeting look over the room before leaving.

*

She could hardly contain herself as she dug into the food like an animal. Being halfway through her chicken, she heard the bench across her being taken. Looking up, she cursed herself for wishing it was the blue-eyed male. But it was no other than his older brother. His small blue eyes looked almost hazel in the lightening of the fire. His rounded face had feather-like fluff of a beard. Under his nose was a small mustache. Ronja kept on eating as she pretended to be unbothered by his presence.

His mouth opened, but he didn't have a chance to say anything as Ivar's hand clapped him on his back. She could see on Hvitserk's face how his brother's presence made him furious. He could hardly stay sitting as Ivar greeted them. He shot out of his seat, hateful expression present as he marched away.

"He hates me." Ivar sighed as he sat down. But by the look on his face, he was not too concerned by that fact.

"What did you do to him?" In the sparks of fire, his eyes seemed to draw her in even more. They looked like the sea when a storm was raging. Ronja could feel herself drowning.

"I killed his lover." She leaned onto the table so close that she could feel his warm breath.

"We do foolish things for people we love." She wiped her greasy fingers over her pants and slowly leaned back. Licking her lips she frowned.

"You should think about the things you did while you proclaimed yourself a God." With those words, she walked out of the hall barely sparing anyone a look. Ivar's eyes searched over the room as he noticed people looking his way. She was probably right. People here hated him. His parents were both dead, and the only woman in his life that truly loved him was dead. His mother, he remembered her soft features and almost wanted to cry. He never felt lonely, the only feeling he ever had was power, bloodlust but now the feeling of loneliness was embracing him. Slowly, but surely as the beautiful woman walked away.