Scene 15 - Loose Connection?

SHADO panics. Straker and Henderson argue at control.

Ayshea:

All forms of communications have been lost Commander. It must be from inside the castle.

Henderson:

Well Straker!

Straker:

A communications fault?

Henderson:

That doesn't explain that smoke that came from Gaitskell's mouth! Send the Mobiles in!

Straker:

SHADO Mobile Control, move in Paul!

Foster:

Right Commander. Hang on...

The party conference is resumed on the monitors on all SHADO installations. The delegates are sat exactly where they very previously sat – alive. Jackovick is standing beside the camera explaining.

Jackovick:

Hello? SHADO? SHADO? Do you read me?

Straker tightly grabs the radio.

Straker:

Hello, Glen Carrick. Do you read me? Have you switched your receive link on?

Jackovick:

Yes SHADO. I hear you. We just had a communications blackout here. A loose connection somewhere. I've fixed it now. Nothing to worry about.

Henderson:

A loose connection, Dylan? We were worried about you over there.

Jackovick:

Well, all's fine now General. Switching to transmit only now. Our conference will resume.

We then see his arms stretch over, but instead turns off the hearing for the transmission device and leaves the receiver, which is only a camera and microphone beside, on! Jackovick then returns to stand at the table in front of all the delegates as they look towards him. They remain still for now as the open SHADO channel communicates.

Foster:

Yeah right.

Parry:

Ay! Sorry to trouble you now, but is there anything going wrong in my castle with communications or something I heard? Must be the strange powers that be...

Foster:

Are you going to keep quiet in the back there Mr. McDonald Parry?

Lake:

Commander, that was a blatant lie! My men and I ensured that video link-up was completely secure from top to bottom.

Straker:

Quite Colonel Lake, I'm sure you did. I don't doubt your expertise for one moment, nor SHADO's equipment set up!

Henderson:

They don't seem to be doing anything. They've just stopped. Like statues.

They remain silent and neutral with no movement.

Straker:

I don't like it. Something's off. We have no way of contacting them. It must have been that smoke.

Henderson:

But they all got through security ok? Gaitskell...

Straker:

Yes! Somehow the aliens could have a hold of him through Ronnie Swaid! And got through our Biological Decoder scan. Colonel Foster, send the Mobiles in!

We hear this over their communicator. The possessed aliens begin panicking and arguing.

Jackovick:

What are we going to do? They know!

Fareish:

Oh, shut up. We mustn't let ourselves become emotional like these barbarians and their ridiculous shape!

Gaitskell:

We adapt. Its suits our prime objectives. Characteristics; mannerisms, gait, posture, eye contact and other traits can be portrayed for the time being, until necessary.

Jackovick:

But what are we going to do?

MacArthur:

We can find some exit out from the castle. Hurry!

The camera then flashes out on the SHADO monitors. Straker and Henderson look at each other. Foster and Lake in the SHADO Control Mobile also look to each other as the SHADO Mobiles drive in towards the Castle – knowing a dreadful possibility about the delegates in the castle.

Parry:

Ay! Take it easy in this weird box!

They then pull up to the castle, but SHADO Mobile Control pulls up to the castle as we hear Straker's voice on the radio. Sky One zooms over the castle, orbiting closely.

Straker:

This is Commander Straker to Sky One and all ground SHADO Mobiles! Get in that castle! Proceed with extreme caution. It is to be assumed that the delegates are now in the hands of the aliens! They must be taken alive! Repeat, they must be taken alive!

Foster:

Parry! You're coming with us!

Parry then suddenly gasps!

Parry:

No!

Foster:

What?

Parry:

The priest hole! Of course! Nobody is marking it! Oh, how could I have been so stupid!

Straker:

What's happening SHADO Mobile Control?

Parry:

The priest hole was in the hall. I forgot all about it until now! It leads up miles from here!

Straker:

Right. Sky One! Search out from a mile's radius of the castle! Side...

Parry:

Opposite the way to the river!

Straker:

The side heading into the trees, opposite the way of the castle!

Waterman:

Roger Commander.

Sky One blasts around to then scan around the mile radius.

Straker:

Paul, send in a team to the castle to uncover the priest hole. In the meantime, I want you to find that exit out to the fields. Get Mr. Parry to locate it for you.

Foster:

Right! Lead us the way.

Parry:

Hmmm! I don't see what I'm going to get out of this.

He crosses his arms arrogantly, sneering at the order from Foster. He then points a shotgun at Parry as his greedy smile is turned into a panicked face.