The Making of a Song

Taehyung was so excited he might burst by the time Tuesday rolled around. He had spent most of his time lost in thought, thinking about song lyrics and had gotten in trouble with his teachers multiple times. He had a spiral notebook with his lyric ideas but didn't know where to go next with them.

     After his afternoon class, he took the subway to Lynnwood Hospital and rode the elevator to level 5. Taehyung had memorized Namjoon's room number the first time he had visited so he didn't need anyone to remind him what number it was.

     He busted open the door and shouted, "Namjoon! I have blessed you with my presence! Did you miss me?"

     "Of course I did," Namjoon responded, laughing, "You ready to brainstorm?"

     "Yeperooni! I wrote how I feel like you told me too,"

     Taehyung walked over to Namjoon's bed, holding out his spiral for Namjoon to take. Namjoon read everything Taehyung wrote, including the doodles and random math equations in the margins.

"I've been hiding it

I tell you something

Just leave it buried

Now I can't endure it anymore

Why couldn't I say it then

I have been hurting anyway

Really, I won't be able to endure it"

     Namjoon looked up at Taehyung with tears in his eyes after reading the first verse.

     "Is it good?" Taehyung asked timidly, not meeting Namjoon's gaze.

      Namjoon nodded, speechless. Not only did Taehyung have a charming voice and amazing skill, he had a way of calling out to you without even saying anything.

      "You have real talent, Taehyung," Namjoon whispered, "I haven't had music speak to me like that. Not since I ran out of thoughts..."

     "Ran out of thoughts? What does that mean?"

     "Oh. I forgot I didn't tell you about that. I'll tell you later, Taehyung," Namjoon said absentmindedly.

     Taehyung nodded, intently watching Namjoon read the rest of the song. He was very happy that Namjoon liked what he wrote; he was worried that his idol would think it was dumb.

     Namjoon flicked his fingers at his computer bag without looking up, "Hand me my computer, will ya?

     Taehyung retrieved the bag from the chair by the window. Namjoon rummaged through the front pocket, pulling out a light blue MP3 drive. He powered up his laptop and plugged the drive into the computer.

     "Sit," Namjoon commanded, clicking in and out of files, "So, I have some spare beats that you could use. First things first, is this going to be a slow song or not?"

     "Well, I was thinking slower. That is how it sounds in my mind,"

     "Mkay. I want you to listen to this and tell me what you think," Namjoon murmured, pressing play on an MP3 file.

     They listened to the slow, melodic beat. Taehyung shook his head and Namjoon moved on to another file. They did that for a while until Taehyung snapped his fingers saying that that file was the one. Namjoon and Taehyung put the beat and the lyrics together, making them fit perfectly. The day slipped by, as did the nurses and doctors.

     "Hey, visiting time is coming to an end," Namjoon's nurse said, popping her head into the room, "And unless you are staying the night, you'll have to leave,"

     "Oh. Okay," Taehyung said, disappointed; he was having fun.

     Namjoon waved, "Well, I guess I'll see you later, Taehyung,"

     "Yeah. Bye, Namjoon. Sleep well," Taehyung smiled.

     Taehyung turned and walked to the door.

     "Taehyung!" Namjoon called, watching his friend turn around and look at him, "This song is going to be awesome..."

     Taehyung smiled, nodded, and continued on his way.