Reminiscing

RICKY'S POV

"oh my gosh, ricky."

i stand up quickly at the sight of nini. how long had i been gone? i was literally going to think for a good fifteen minutes then walk back. i check my watch. 7:42 p.m. I WAS GONE FOR TWO HOURS?

nini quickly runs into my arms and i pick her up spinning her around. 

"oh gosh, you're safe. you're okay." she puts both of her tiny hands on either side of my cheeks and peppers my face with small kisses. 

"yeah, i'm okay neens." though i truly didn't sound like it. i sounded more deflated than a balloon that had been at a six year old's birthday part, stabbed excessively, and had no more air in it. if it wasn't obvious, that is really deflated. nini pulled back quickly and hit me in the chest. hard.

"OW." i heaved as the air got knocked out of me. "nini!"

"what were you thinking?" nini fumed, smacking me again. "i was so worried about you! you just picked up your skateboard and left without telling anybody?!"

"i had to get away, nini." i sighed. "please understand that. i can't handle them fighting anymore."

nini looked like she was going to keep shouting at me, but her face fell at my words and her eyes softened. she kissed the palm of her hand and placed it on my chest. "sorry for hitting you." she mumbled, making me laugh.

"it's okay." i took both of her hands and led her to the ledge i had been sitting on. "i deserved it. come sit down with me."

"ricky, we have to go back." nini tugged my hands in the other direction, but i pulled her to face me. 

"10 minutes, please." i begged. "i can't go back right now." 

nini sighed, looking out into the woods towards the neighborhoods. she turned back to me and gave me a small smile before reluctantly sitting down next to me. i draped my arm across her shoulder as she rested her head against me, our legs kicking slightly over the side. 

"this place feels so familiar," nini said softly, "but i can't place it. how did you know it was here?"

i grinned at the memory, kind of sad she didn't remember, but i didn't blame her. it wasn't really that important. "you ready for a story time?"

she lifted her head to look at me, confusion in her eyes, but she nodded. i knew she couldn't turn down a good story.

-flash back-

{four years ago}

11 year old ricky sat on a small ledge, looking over salt lake city, pondering why he had just made the biggest mistake of his life. 

there was a really pretty girl in his class this year. her name was nini and she incredible. he saw her sitting on the swings by herself one day while he was playing football. she started strumming a really pretty song on her little ukulele. it was small, almost like a toy ukulele, and was a nasty shade of yellow. nini strummed it regardless, singing some lyrics about clouds. ricky wasn't fully paying attention to the lyrics, but it was awfully beautiful. he was so in awe of her until he got clocked in the head with a football. good times.

ricky had been riding his bike when he saw nini on the streets of their neighborhood, selling lemonade. there was a sign on the front saying that she was saving up for a brand new ukulele. he decided that he wanted to show off a little to get her attention while she was talking to a friend a few feet away from the stand. ricky tried to pop a wheelie, but ended up hitting the small, fragile little stand, causing it to fall down completely.