A Song to Sing

NINI'S POV

I inhaled sharply, carefully taking the small note off the box. I had never seen my dad's handwriting before, but it appeared that it was like most boy's: deformed. There must be something, like, in guy's blood that makes their handwriting wonky. Ladies could never. 

The paper of the letter was smooth, almost silky against my fingers. It had definitely been written recently, considering that there were no folds nor wrinkles in the paper. I took in the penmanship carefully. He could have basically been scribbling and the words would have looked the same. Okay, I should probably stop insulting my dead father's handwriting. 

Dear Nina,

Can you tell me why the heck this weird boy of yours, Ricky, calls you Nini? I don't fully understand that, like what it that? Okay, moving on. Hey, sunshine. If you're reading this, well, that means I must be dead. Gosh, I've always wanted to say that. It sounded so cool in movies! On a different note, and heavier one I suppose (and I'm not talking about music), I'm writing to you as something to remember me by. You don't have very many memories of me, and that's all my fault. I don't have very many memories of you either, but I get to make more watching over you. You don't get to make anymore with me, and I think that's unfair. We only met a few weeks ago, but the first word I think of when I think of you is pride. I know that I am so proud to call you my daughter. I can't wait to see the young lady you become someday. 

I know you are really into music, got that from me as well I suppose (flips hair if there was any). You are going to be big someday, sunshine, I just know it! I'm already so excited for you, that I could run a marathon with all this energy, and I'm dying! You are going to accomplish so many things, and make so many people happy. I already see how happy you make that boy, Ricky. I know you guys are only freshman, but I'm already pumped for your wedding day! I am team Rini forever and if anyone stands in the way of that, I will kill them off! Or just haunt them or something. You know, you can fight and human but you can't fight a ghost. AHehehehehehhe. 

Anyways, that box you took this note off of, that's just a little something I whipped up for you. It was by far the least I could do after leaving you for the past fifteen years. I will never forgive myself for that, as long as a live, and even beyond that. I love you, sunshine. I may never have gotten to say those words to you, but I do. I always have and always will love you, Nina. Mahal kita anak ko. 

- Dear old dad <3

I quickly swiped the tears away from my eyes. They burned more than eyes are supposed to. The last part got to me. Mahal Kita means I love you. It's what my mom tells me, what my Lola tells me, and I guess that is probably what my dad used to tell my mom. Anak ko means my daughter. It felt good to be called his daughter. 

I slowly pulled the box across my bed towards me. It was cardboard, but somehow still had little polka dots littered around it. Cute. 

Carefully, I removed the lid, but quickly dropped it when I saw what was inside. There, sat a brand new, the most beautiful I had ever seen, ukulele.