Prologue

TW: Child Abuse, Mentions of Heavy Drinking, Mentions of An Alcoholic Parent, Abusive Parent, Abusive Actions, Swearing, Crying

proceed with caution.

i'll also be leaving something lighthearted as the picture up top of you need it

let me know if i missed any warning, please.

Virgil's breathing had stopped as a stumbling man walked into the house. His footsteps heavy and the smell of alcohol radiating off of his person. The teen swallowed thickly and held his little brother tightly, his eyes on the man cautiously.

The two had been watching a movie, more specifically Big Hero 6, as it was Logans turn to pick. It was going smoothly until the smelly man came home from his daily drinking session. Feeling the tightening arm around him, Logan looked up at his older brother, only to follow his gaze towards his father.

Glaring, the man approached the two. "What the fuck are you two looking huh?" he snapped, falling onto the chair beside the couch. Virgil held back the urge to flinch at the sudden movement, desperate to deprive the man of satisfaction.

However the younger boy, having not read the older mans lips, continued to stare. He blinked owlishly, gripping Virgil's hoodie sleeve as he made eye contact.

The father of the two quickly stood up and grabbed the child by the arm harshly, his anger bubbling up. "What the fuck did I just say?! What, can you not hear me, is that it?! Fucking brat."

Letting the five year old fall back into the couch, he ventured off to his room.

Virgil was finally able to breath again once the alcoholic was out of sight. He quickly went to the aid of the child, guilt torturing him from the inside out as tears fell rapidly from his brothers eyes. Scared, grey eyes.

Gently using the pads of his thumbs to wipe the tears away, the teen slowly took the boys arm and inspected it. A mark that resembled their fathers hand was left, and it was surely going to bruise.

He felt anger, shame and fear bubble into his stomach and chest. Virgil sighed and rested his forehead against the child's, stroking the mark lightly.

After a moment or two, Logan had calmed down enough to stop the tears. He wrapped his arms around his brothers neck and hugged him, seeking for some kind of comfort. Hope - while possibly false - that they would live happily again.

And Virgil craved the same. He held the small boy in his arms tightly, curling around him as if letting him go would be the end. Tears of his own formed and he hid his face in the small shoulder.

"I'll get us out of here, Lo," the older sobbed.

"I'll protect you."