Prepare

"Hyah!"

You exclaimed as you pushed your sparring partner to the floor, pointing your sword at them. This was the third? No, fourth time you had beaten them today and you were growing tired of the lack of challenge. You sighed, helping your partner up and taking your face mask off.

"I hope I'm still allowed to eat dinner after that embarrassing defeat," you teased while hanging the dull sword on the wall.

"I am very pleased with how far you have come in your training daughter," your mother declared with just a hint of pride in her eyes.

You felt a small surge of warmth. It was not customary to convey feelings or emotions on your planet, so even this little spark was surprising but welcome. You quickly snapped out of your trance and excused yourself to go shower. Even though you enjoyed sparring with your mother you found yourself wondering as you walked down the expanse of beige hallways if you would ever be given a challenge. Some excitement for a change. Having arrived at your room you alerted the maid that you would be taking a shower and that you wished to be left alone. Being a princess had its perks; prying maids was not one of them. You stripped off your clothing and entered the shower, the water a welcome feeling on your skin after a long day. You let your mind wander as you finished washing your hair and body, finally turning the water off and stepping out of the shower wrapping yourself in a warm towel. You checked the time. 6:00, thirty minutes until dinner which gave you plenty of time to meditate. You dressed and headed outside to the garden. You had a special area out of plain sight that was quiet enough for you to meditate. You had been taught the ways of force at a young age when your sensitivity had been discovered. You sat cross-legged and closed your eyes while attempting to clear your mind. It was not hard, your life was relatively boring and your only worry was inevitably becoming Queen of Malachor. After clearing your mind you sought out the future. Balck nothingness suddenly turned into a frenzy. You were bombarded by black clouds passing over you like waves. Millions of voices whispered to you all at one time but they were imperceptible. You gasped and pulled yourself out of this vision. Never had your future been so cloudy and what was worse, you sensed something. Something truly terrifying.  An end.

///

Dinner was quiet as always. There was little to discuss. Visitors were few and very far between on Malachor. Many still believed the planet to be dead and uninhabited. This was thanks to your great-grandmother who had discovered the planet to once again be habitable and so she settled here with other women seeking to be trained as impartial warriors. There were no men on Malachor but women were free to come and go as they liked and were free to procreate if they so desired. If the child was a boy, it was sent away. You had seen men occasionally on missions with fellow Malachorans but had never possessed the desire to procreate.

Your mother broke the silence solemnly saying your name, "Some of our warriors returned from a mission today reporting rumors of a war on the horizon."

You rolled your eyes. This was typical of the galaxy. Rarely were wars not happening. "I'm not surprised. But as always, I assume that we will stay out of it?" You silently wondered if this would be your chance to go on another mission.

"I worry that we may not have the option. We have been lucky to be undiscovered for so many years, but everything must come to an end. I fear this secret will not last much longer."

The word end replayed in your head like a broken record. "I sensed it," you whispered. "An end".

Your mother nodded solemnly. "This is what you have been training for your entire life. But remember we must not compromise our neutrality. It is the very foundation that your great-grandmother built this planet on."

Dinner was finished in thoughtful silence. Your mother only said two words to you when you excused yourself to bed: "Be ready".