Chapter 13: Interrogation and Desolation

31th March 2027, Wednesday, 10.25 AM

Kazuto's POV

It has been a while since I had truly rested, maybe it was because I had Asuna by my side the whole time. My eyes remained closed while I let out a soft content sigh. I heard soft voices around me and wondered who they were but I was reluctant to awaken from my nice slumber. It was then I felt a depression on the right side of my bed and warm hand gently stroking my hair. My lips curled into a smile at that soothing feeling and instinctively called out a name without bothering to see who it was. "Asuna..." A small chuckle came and it was Asuna's voice.

"It seems that I was mistaken for someone else." It was a mature feminine voice that I knew well of. Slowly, I opened my drowsy eyes and looked at the person beside me. It was my adoptive mother, Kirigaya Midori.

"Hey, mom..." I lazily called, giving her a sleepy smile. Before she could reply, a girl with black hair stopped above her shoulders greeted me cheerfully from the left.

"Good morning, Onii-chan! You're finally awake!" Suguha beamed and a tall man towards me from behind her.

"Morning son, how are you?" I was surprised seeing pops here in Japan as he was supposed to be working in America. "I came back as soon as I heard from your mother that you were missing." He explained while gently rubbing my head as he noticed my surprised look. My eyes softened at his statement as I realized that I had worried them once again.

"I'm feeling better I guess. Fever's still there and my wound still hurts but I'm okay." I replied to pop's question and paused for a moment. "I'm...sorry. Sorry that I worried you all." I apologized to them. I felt awful knowing just how busy my parents really are and that I had troubled them all. "Sorry you had to leave work for me."

"Shh...It's okay. As long as you're safe, that's all that matters." My mom hushed me, resting her forehead against mine lovingly. It was her way of showing her love since both Sugu and I were little. I've always loved it as it made me felt safe and somehow Asuna had also started doing it to me more often, which made me really happy about it. Being reminded of my girlfriend, I looked to my right and saw her still fast asleep on her bed. I smiled at the sight of her peaceful form, knowing that she was getting the rest she deserves from taking care of me. "We have her to thank for watching over you while we're gone. She offered to stay by your side and keep us updated on your condition. She was the one who told us that you've regained consciousness. She sure is an amazing girl." My mom said to me while smiling at Asuna.

"Yeah. She was by my side the whole time, making sure I was comfortable." I said while remembering how gentle and loving she was with me. My eyes wouldn't leave her form as I continue to gaze at her beauty. 'She's so perfect and I'm so lucky to have her. But...am I really worthy of her love? Does someone like me really deserve her?' I asked myself inwardly as my smile fell. I couldn't help but feel insecure.

"Onii-chan? What's the matter?" Suguha asked. She was always quick to notice a change in my mood.

"I-it's nothing." I shook my head and gave her a convincing smile. "Is it really okay for you guys to leave work?" I asked my parents in worry.

"You're the one stuck in bed and you're worried about us?" Pops chuckled at my question and gently nudge the side of my face.

"I'm sorry, Kazu. We'd like to stay longer but we've only managed to get a half-day off, I'll have to head back to work after lunch hour and your dad has a conference call in the afternoon as well." My mom gave me a strained smile and caressed my cheek.

"Sorry, Onii-chan. My kendo activity will be in the afternoon so I'll have to leave after lunch." Suguha apologize with both hands clasped together. "I'll be sure to come visit as soon as I can."