Chapter 15: Healing Process

3rd April 2027, Saturday, 11.05 AM

Asuna's POV

I had just woken up from my sleep and noticed a new message notification on my phone. The sender was from Higa-san from Rath. Wondering why he would be messaging me, I started reading the contents of the message.

"Asuna-san, it's been awhile. I've been informed of Kirigaya-kun's situation by Rinko-senpai as well as updates from his nurse, Aki-san. Thus, there's something I would like to discuss with you regarding a possible solution for his condition. Could you perhaps come over to Rath's Roppongi Branch the day after tomorrow, Monday morning? It's better that I show it rather than to explain it to you. – From, Higa Takeru."

'A solution? Is there a hope for Kirito-kun after all?' I thought as great relief welled up in my heart. I hugged my phone to my chest as I could feel tears of joy slipping out of my closed eyes. 'I would do anything to protect Kirito-kun. After all, it was our promise back then to protect each other no matter what happens.'

A small moan could be heard from the boy beside me. He had shifted his head slightly towards my way in his sleep, his relaxed breathing and naïve-looking face showed serenity in him. I admired his sleeping features like I always did back when we were living together in our log cabin. I would always set my alarm few minutes earlier than him so that I would be able to witness his sleeping face. His silky soft raven locks, his long eyelashes and his thin soft lips. I couldn't help but to smile at his adorable sleeping face. Placing my phone back onto the nightstand, I turned my body towards him with my palm tracing his slightly plump cheek, gently poking the soft skin once in a while.

"Mmmm..." He groan slightly in irritation. I let out small giggles when I noticed his eyebrow twitched slightly when being poked on the cheek but made no attempt to wake up. "S-stop it...five more minutes...no...ten..." I giggled louder at his response which made him slowly peek out from one eye when he heard my voice. "A...suna?" He said lazily.

"Good morning, sleepyhead. Sorry that I woke you up but you were just too much fun." I giggled at his dazed expression while rubbing his smooth cheek with my palm. "How's your fever? It's been five days already." I asked as I noticed how slowly he was recovering due to the wounds unable to heal properly. He smiled at my question and grabbed my hand that was on his cheek.

"Feel it for yourself." He said while bringing my palm onto his forehead. Feeling the right amount of warmness on his skin, I smiled at him.

"It feels like you're back to normal. Thank goodness." I rested my forehead against his, nuzzling our noses together sweetly. "My Kirito-kun, my beloved Kirito-kun is back." I called his name tenderly.

Without warning, I was pulled closed to him by his arms with his nose nuzzling on the crook of my neck. I yelped in surprise and I was sure that a blush had crept onto my cheeks. "K-Kirito-kun? Not so rough, your wound..."

"I'm fine. It doesn't hurt, not anymore. Not while you're so close to me." I could hear him taking a deep breath on my neck before letting out a content sigh, his hot breath made my skin crawl in an alluring way. "You smell so sweet and you're so warm. You're in my territory now. I'm not letting you go so easily." He said in a husky yet sweet voice.

"G-geez, Kirito-kun. Don't say stuff like that! It's embarrassing...S-stop, it tickles." I pouted shyly and giggled when I felt his soft pecks on my neck. He then smiled at me and placed one more kiss on my lips before snuggling close.

"God, I missed you...so much..." He said.

"What are you talking about? I've been with you this whole time, haven't I?" I chuckled slightly while playing with his soft raven hair. It was strange seeing Kirito-kun's mood having such a drastic change from last night, but seeing him so cheerful right now made my heart flutter. I wanted him to remain like this every day, free from pain and troubles. His cheerful smile was what captivated my heart the most after all.