Chapter 21: New Beginnings

This is by far the longest chapter I've ever written in the shortest time! More than 9k words in not more than twenty hours. It's a new record for me!!!

Anyway, please do take your time and enjoy this chapter!

xxxxxxxxxx

"Kirito-kun!" Asuna screeched when she saw her lover dropped to the ground motionless. She immediate ran towards him, stumbling along the way from the slippery icy surface. All of the ice golems had dissipated the moment the dragon was defeated, ending the battle for the Underwordians. Alice and the rest of the Underworldians followed Asuna in worry of the black-haired Spriggan as well.

"Kirito! Hey, Kirito!" Eugeo, who had just been brought back to life, crouched down beside the unconscious boy, gently shaking his shoulder to wake him. He had been calling his name a few times now but there was not a single response. Noticing Asuna's arrival, Eugeo moved aside and allowed the beautiful girl to kneel beside Kirito, hugging his body close t0 hers with a delicate hand on his cheek.

"Kirito-kun! Please, don't scare me! Wake up! Hey..." Asuna called but his eyes remained closed. Droplets of tears began falling onto his pale face and disappeared into tiny light particles. Asuna sobbed as she remembered the scene of Kazuto's lifeless body in her arms back when she found him almost killed by Watanabe. "Kirito-kun...please..."

"Calm down, Asuna! If his avatar hasn't disappeared means, he's still safe, isn't it?" Alice had kneeled down beside Asuna, holding her shoulders to calm her down. She was the first to reach them. "You're with Kirito in the Real World right now, aren't you?" Alice asked the said girl.

"Yes, we both logged into ALO from his room." Asuna tearfully replied.

"Why don't you log out for a moment to check on him while we stay here in case he wakes up?" Alice suggested and Asuna hurriedly nodded, bringing out her menu window about to log out temporarily.

Before she could press on the log out button, a weak hand grabbed her wrist to stop her. Asuna looked towards the owner of the hand with wide eyes. She found herself staring into the deep onyx eyes that she had loved so much, gazing back at her weakly. "Asuna...It's alright...I'm okay..." Kirito croaked in a low voice.

"Kirito!" Both Alice and Eugeo called in relief.

"Kirito-kun! Thank goodness. I was so worried."Asuna continued sobbing while cupping his face, placing a soft kiss on his forehead before nuzzling her nose against his. Both Alice and Eugeo smiled at this and moved away a little to give the couple their moment. "I thought I almost lost you again."

"That's not possible, you know. ALO isn't a death game." He chuckled lightly while sitting upright and wiping away her tears.

"I know...I know...It's just...I couldn't bear losing you." Asuna stifled her cries.

"Shh. It's alright, I understand. I'm sorry for making you worry so much." Kirito tenderly caressed her hair and kissed her forehead. "Don't worry, I won't leave you. Not ever." He then pulled her into a warm embrace and buried his face into her hair, taking in her scent. Even though this is the virtual world and her real scent should be non-existent, Kirito was so used to the way she smelled that he had imagined the scent was really there.

Once everyone had gathered around them, Asuna finally calmed down and helped Kirito back on his two feet. As Kirito thanked all the Underworldians for their bravery, Ronye tackled onto Kirito's chest sobbing in relief and Sortiliena patting his shoulders praising his great feat. Golgorosso and Tiese stood behind them, watching with smiles on their faces. The red-headed girl then turned her gaze to the side and her eyes widened at who she saw. Tears began to form in her eyes when she recognized the bright green eyes and flaxen hair.