Four

~A human~

ROMAN

From the moment I stepped out into the clearing, I could smell a delicious overpowering scent that drove my wolf, Axel, insane but as usual, I managed to keep him in check. Right now we had to focus on the important matter at hand.

The Hunt.

An important event of Astrae and it's people.

An important and hectic time for their king, me. And I didn't need my wolf acting up at such a crucial time.

I looked up to the Chosen women and for some odd reason, I smiled. I could see their fear and could smell the terror that ebbed from them. All except one. One who stood in their midst like a woman on a mission. The intoxicating scent seemed to be coming from her.

Unconsciously, I licked my lips as I watched her steadily. She looked from left to right, seeming to be in a world of her own. Axel howled much louder now in my head but I stemmed him down. Right now I had to focus on the Hunt, not on the human, who smelled like freshly baked cinnamon rolls with a— The Hunt.

I stepped close to the crowd and they immediately parted way for me and the nine Lycans who were following closely behind me, bowing their heads in respect to their king. Stepping to the front, I smiled a fraction at the people of Astrae, preparing myself for what I had to say.

"People of Astrae, we are here to witness the start of the special event of our people "The Hunt". Here are ten women who were chosen by our Hunters, to participate in The Hunt. Nine of these women are mates to these men."

I smirked.

"As for the other, let's think of her as entertainment."

I paused for effect.

"And to make it a little more interesting, I'll let you all on a little secret... The only way to be let go is to get to the middle of the woods before you are caught. There, freedom is guaranteed."

I smirked again. A little false hope never hurt anybody. This could even make this a little more challenging. Just a tiny bit. A tiny bit.

"So...let the Hunt begin."

From the moment she looked up at me and we locked gazes, I knew I was bound and there was nothing I could do about it.

The mate bond.

A loud howl sounded from nowhere in particular and the women instinctively ran towards the woods.

I groaned inwardly and ran my hands through my hair, suddenly annoyed. Now, on the second howl, I had to go hunt down my mate.

A human.

A weak species.

~

LAIELA

Branches slapped my skin as I ran but I ignored it all. I jumped over an overgrown tree roof just in time and continued running towards the center of the woods. From the lessons I could remember from my uncle who was in the army, the vegetation and everything in the woods focused at one point and that point was the center. And I was going to get there at all costs.

Slowly, I reduced my speed then finally moved to a brisk walk. It was then I allowed myself thoughts and the first was Marina. In the beginning, we were running together but somehow we lost each other on the way. Hopefully, she'd make it to the center too.

Hopefully.

The second thought was the man they called the Alpha King. The man who clearly mocked us because he thought we couldn't make it. The man whose eyes sent shivers down my spine. I would certainly delight in showing him not all of us were as weak as he seemed to think and I would so glad to wipe that stupid smirk off his face.